Help with work in SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Sunday 28 January 2007 4.45pm
Hi all, this may not be an appropriate message-I'm sure james will advise-but my partner has just moved to Southwark (to live with me)from Nottingham. He had to give up his previous bread and butter job as a library porter at Nottingham University when he took an opportunity to undertake a 3 month photographic trip in Pakistan at the end of 2006. Having done this and now having moved to London he needs another bread and butter job while he writes up his travels. He's also tried for loads of freelance and other photographic jobs but not got any replies.
He's looking for work but so far places like Tesco, Currys etc have nothing round here. Anyone got any advice for a 45 year old man self taught in digital photography, Mac operation, Adobe photoshop but who is also an excellent handyman, experienced in customer front line work etc? He's afraid his age and lack of formal qualifications are proving a problem but he has a good cv. He seems to be over-experienced and under-qualified!
Advice welcome-this is not an advert, I just thought i'd ask around for any searching tips around SE1 and any pointers.
Sunday 28 January 2007 5.20pm
This website allows searches by area and keywords - and pops up quite often if you Google for keywords like "se1 jobs sales tesco" etc...
Monday 29 January 2007 9.10am
Java, there was a southwark employment agency just past westmoreland road, on the right side coming from the elephant, there may be something there just to keep him ticking over? I am sure he will find something with his skills..if i find it later i will pm you, but someone here may know what the phone number is. If he does go there take i.d. number etc.
Monday 29 January 2007 12.21pm
Try looking for Southwark Works on the website

I'm not totally sure I understand it, but I get the impression that it offers careers advice/pointers/recommendations to get people into work who have experienced set backs etc.

Also, I gather JobCentrePlus has rather moved on in the world since the time that I had to face the daunting process of signing on every week, so there may be some help there.

Plus of course there's some jobs advertised on the SE1 website now.
Monday 29 January 2007 3.38pm
java wrote:
an excellent handyman
This job ad may be worth a look

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 29 January 2007 8.03pm
Java, I've left you a PM.
Monday 29 January 2007 10.35pm
Thanks all so far. What serendipity looking at today's job posting at the top of the site! I await the link from Jan-the-old-one with interest. And yes it may be worthwhile checking out the "job centre" although my partern's experience has been exactly the same as yours, Chustler i.e. he remembers the old signing on rather unfondly. I'll look back at the links too-we may not have tried totaljobs yet. Thanks and I'll keep you posted.
Tuesday 30 January 2007 8.13am
Just had a totally frustrating call to the councils main switchboard number...
The young lady did not know where Westmoreland Road, SE17 was..perhaps she had just started..but when i explained that it was southwarks own employment agency she wanted to give me the number of Peckham Job Centre! What happened to all the switchboard operators of years ago who had local knowledge...still at a stalemate Java but I'll find it if it kills me! :-)
Tuesday 30 January 2007 10.55am
it gets deeper and deeper..had a brainwave and phoned 7525 2000 to ask for number of consumer advice, was going to ask if any staff were going in that direction in their break to check the name and if it had closed ( its just along the road from them)

was given 08081562250 ( in the phone book its still old number) phoned that and recording was on referring to Consumer Direct 0845 4040506...they are not taking calls recording said to try website etc..and to try later! arrgh....
How much a year is that call centre costing ..A Million Pounds Plus!
Tuesday 30 January 2007 11.46am
Bingo....Southwark Agency. Camberwell Road...just past consumers advice...

0207 525 6929 or went to a very helpful lady called Jeannette on 7525 2929...
She said that the names was changed to Hays Southwark recruitment Agency and she thought the switchboard still had it listed.
She said it may be better to send an e-mail to enclosing C.V to -

they only deal with posts in southwark, there is other branches that deal with other boroughs..
hope this may help?

i knew the flipping building was still there!
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: