Queen Elizabeth Street is an accident waiting to happen...

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 27 June 2003 12.31am
Queen Elizabeth Street ( the portion to the east of Tower Bridge Road, which stretches the length of Shad Thames) over the past ten years has changed from a quiet backwater to a commuter ratrun for those trying to avoid the traffic blockages of Tooley Street on their way down to Rotherhithe.

Traffic volumes have risen and so has the average speed. It's not unusual for cars to drive down it at 40-50 mph. It's too narrow, too crowded and has too many junctions to do this safely.

Soon, someone is going to be killed.

About 3 years ago, some local people campaigned as councillors to put traffic calming measures in the street, but nothing has been done. Does anyone know what happened?
Al
Friday 27 June 2003 2.17pm
Could not agree more, me and other nearby residents have despaired for years. You have to edge out of Lafone Street to cross QE St, can't see because of parked cars too near the junction, then often just in time see some idiot hurtling down to avoid the lights at the south end of Tower Bridge/Tooley Street.

The new lights at the Shad Thames/Jamaica Rd junction help but there's still a route through that avoids the Tower Bridge lights.

A friend told me he rang the council some years ago and they literally said somebody did have to get killed before it was made a priority.

After all the money that's been spent doing and then re-doing Tooley Street I find that even more staggering
Monday 30 June 2003 3.03pm
Many accidents have already happened. I have seen them. Thankfully they have been minor shunts with nobody hurt. The worst blackspot is pulling out of Boss Street to turn L or R on to QES. The arrangement of the official parking bays is such that you cannot see clearly either way and inevitably accidents happen.

After much correspondence, accompanied by photographs, I got Southwark Council to agree in writing to reduce the parking bays by one car space to create better visibility before anyone was seriously injured. They refused to get rid of one entire parking bay, as I had suggested, explaining that it was not necessary for the road to be wide enough for two cars to pass!

The work never happened in any case and the Council blamed the intervention of TFL. Simon Hughes was asked to help but to no avail. I know this little story doesn't address the problem of speeding on QES but it would be helpful to see the idiots coming and certainly safety comes before raising revenue or providing a parking space.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: