Southwark / Elephant & Castle supermarkets?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Friday 2 February 2007 1.44pm
Hi SE1 dwellers :)

I'm probably going to be living in the Southwark / Elephant & Castle area while I do my MA - specifically just off Blackfriars Road.

I'm just wondering which supermarkets are closest to this area? It can't just be the Iceland in the E&C shopping centre ... can it?

What's the area like generally? Safe? (Ok, I know it's not). Can you usually get what you need nearby?

Any hints and tips greatly appreciated :)
Friday 2 February 2007 3.13pm
Welcome to the Forum and SE1!

In terms of supermarkets, there is a Tesco in the E&C Shopping Centre which, from memory, isn't that great. Nearest big supermarkets are Tesco and Asda on the Old Kent Road.

The Elephant doesn't have a great reputation, but if you are streetwise, you should be fine (walk purposefully, don't fumble maps, don't walk down very dark streets/passages, etc.). My ex-girlfriend lived on Blackfrairs Road, on the corner of Pocock Street, and never had any problems.

Would highly recommend The Ring (opposite Southwark tube) for a quick lunch. There are tonnes of restaurants around The Cut and on Isabella Street. Plus Southwark tube is great for getting into the West End quickly.

Chris
Friday 2 February 2007 6.21pm
There is also a Somerfield supermarket down Walworth Road, just opposite East Street market where you will find vegetables & fruits every day of the week plus flowers on Sundays. Also, you will find another Iceland, Sainsbury and a few market stalls in Lower Marsh/Waterloo. Just walk around and don't be worried about the area, it is fine. Get yourself a cheap bike, a couple of panniers and you will love living in the centre of London.
Friday 2 February 2007 10.17pm
I dont think of the area as dangerous at all.
Saturday 3 February 2007 10.14am
Why are you so keen on finding a supermarket anyway? One of the pleasures of living in this area is being able to avoid the supermarkets. Within 20 mins walk or so of the Elephant there is Borough Market, East Street Market, bulk food co-op (if it is still open), real butchers on Walworth Road, and shops catering to the Chinese, Vietnamese, Afro-Caribbean, Russian, Turkish and Middle Eastern communities.

I have a horrible feeling you might be living at Manna Ash House on Pocock Street, in which case you will be wanting to be out as much as possible, so there is plenty of opportunity for exploring!
Saturday 3 February 2007 1.23pm
Elephant and Waterloo are as safe as any other areas of central London as long as you are careful. I've lived here 2 years and I love it.
The tescos in Elephant shopping centre is okay if you want the basics, but it is VERY busy and has a limited range. There is a small Sainsbury's in Waterloo Road which is rubbish, only for use in emergency.
Personally I get Tesco to deliver- they have great offers on their website, and you can get practically anything you want without having to lug bags home.
Saturday 3 February 2007 6.52pm
Thanks so much for all your replies :)

Andrew H wrote:
Why are you so keen on finding a supermarket anyway?

I was just checking what was nearby really, though I'm sure I'll find the smaller shops closer and more useful by the sounds of it.

Quote:
I have a horrible feeling you might be living at Manna Ash House on Pocock Street, in which case you will be wanting to be out as much as possible, so there is plenty of opportunity for exploring!

Is Manna Ash awful then? Ugh. After living in WC1 and W1 for three years, I have a feeling moving south is going to -very- depressing.
Saturday 3 February 2007 11.16pm
I find that Waitrose at Bloomsbury is very convenient - just a 15 minute bus journey to Russell Square. Otherwise, Waitrose at St Katherine Docks is just the other side of Tower Bridge.
Sunday 4 February 2007 12.06am
Quote:
Is Manna Ash awful then? Ugh. After living in WC1 and W1 for three years, I have a feeling moving south is going to -very- depressing.

Excuse me? There is nothing remotely depressing about "south", and SE1 is a fantastic area to live.

The management of Manna Ash are not especially good nor clued in to students' needs, but it a convenient location and reasonably well-maintained.
Sunday 4 February 2007 2.21pm
No offence intended. I'm sure it's fine and there are bits of SE1 that are lovely, but I would hardly describe the Elephant & Castle area as particularly cheerful. Maybe it just has a bad reputation.

Does anyone know what the area around Southwark tube station is like at night? Am I going to be getting a lot of taxis to stay safe?
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: