Lorries in Thrale Street; finding appropriate contact

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 4 February 2007 6.20pm
My girlfriend lives in Thrale Street, which is the only route for cars travelling along Southwark Street to turn right onto Southwark Bridge road and onto the bridge itself. Thrale Street is unsuitable for this, being very narrow, and we regularly have the pleasure of watching lorries reverse/drive forward in a desperate manoeuvring attempt outside our bedroom window, before more often than not reversing back up and onto Southwark Street. As you can imagine this is especially entertaining at 4am. The advent of sat. nav. systems has led to an increase in this - they show the route but don't indicate just how tight it is.

Anyway, my gilfriend has just written a letter to the council about this, but trying to pinpoint which of the councils' departments to send this to is a bit difficult. A few phone calls have only resulted in some (probably valid, but nonetheless unhelpful) buck passing by council officials, so I wondered if anyone on this forum had experienced anything similar and had had any joy from anyone within the council. Even the name of someone possibly connected who has been helpful would be a good start.

cheers,

Ian
Sunday 4 February 2007 6.41pm
I use your street fairly regularly (slowly, as it is very narrow for through traffic!) and I agree it would be far better if we could turn right off Southwark Street, it's not as if traffic moves that fast in Southwark street and apart from the ridiculous trend for wide pavements here where they are not needed, the junction could be wide enough for a filter lane to allow this, you might want to mention that to the council too?
Zoe
Sunday 4 February 2007 9.06pm
I have found the same problem when trying to get this type of issue sorted out. I've never had a lot of joy, so if you find the right person, please do a post about it.

You might want to try one of your councillors, Adele Morris is really helpful, you can email her at adele.morris@southwark.gov.uk.
Monday 5 February 2007 10.10am
I suspect that you will find that the council tells you that it is (at least in part) a Transport for London matter.

Your councillors will be able to help work out exactly which authority is responsible for what.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 5 February 2007 11.43am
I think the rubbish parking has a lot to do with it. I also believe that if you close Thrale Street you will just slow the traffic down in the area even more and further contribute to the general pollution.
Monday 5 February 2007 2.02pm
Bit hard to argue/agree with westofbanks first comment since 'rubbish parking' is too vague for me to get a handle on. Moving the parking down the bridge end of the street would just delay the point where a lorry hits a bottleneck, which in some cases would mean reversing back the whole length of the street. Not ideal. You'll be able to work out for yourselves why we're not in favour of removing the parking altogether. Even now we sometimes have to park in the Southwark Rose car park - not cheap.

As for closing Thrale Street, that's never going to happen. Our preferred options would be some means of preventing over-large vehicles trying to enter Thrale Street in the first place, extending the pavement out behind the first parking bay and also having some way of slowing the remaining traffic, which often enters the street at too high a speed due to the obtuseness of the right-turn.

Anyway, I've emailed Adele Morris to get the ball rolling - thanks Zoe for the info.
Monday 5 February 2007 4.45pm
Given the speed most local authorities work at, is it not possible to put your own sign at the beginning of the street stating 'Unsuitable For HGV's.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: