Potters Fields Park

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Monday 5 February 2007 10.14am
Now that the boards have started to come down, what's the general opinion?

Personally, I wonder if this is 3 million pounds well spent. This was supposed to be a "world class park", and so it should be considering where it's located. However, what we seem to have (at the moment) is a couple of lawns with horrid tarmac in the middle and a tiny garden at the Tooley St end. This must be the most expensive suburban front garden in the world. I'm hoping that I'm missing something and the pièce de résistance is yet to come.
Monday 5 February 2007 12.12pm
I dont understand why they introduced another path right through the middle, the other paths are <10 feet away. It apperasd to be just for the benefit of city hall workers to cut through to Shad Thames.

Also looking at google maps it seems like the more london 'queens walk' has taken some space from the river side edge of the park.
SG
Monday 5 February 2007 12.56pm
I was under the impression the park would extend all the way out to the Berkeley homes boundary. But it seems that the council have nicely flattened the ground for the new towers, and just made a small park which is almost the same as before.
Tuesday 6 February 2007 3.43pm
Having watched the transformation right from the start I think the park will look fantastic. The new white granite seating and steps is far better than the old worn concrete edging. The grass is now of a much better quality has built in sprinklers to help with the summer wear. The tree and shrub planting is simple but well placed so that views are not interrupted. The tarmac path should have a resin stone coating applied to it and a pottery covered seat will be placed near the GLA building. There are also two cafes going in instead of the horrible burger van that's parked by Tower Bridge steps. Some interesting lighting is also now going in. I think this will be a world class addition but with an understated sophistication to the design. Can't wait to see it finished!
Tuesday 6 February 2007 4.06pm
On the subject of the grass - are there plans to protect it in any way?

Having lived here for a number of years, I had got used to the cycle of freshly laid lawn turned into brown dust by the many feet walking on it.

When Blaine the Pain was suspended in his box, the grass was very quickly destroyed by the extra feet.

Also, what was the story with the ice cream van that used to park on the grass? You could clearly see where he drove over the grass and parked up right near the Bridge.
Sunday 11 February 2007 12.22pm
"Understated sophistication". Come off it. If you mean a design that panders too much to fashion then I agree. If that was the aim then maybe the much more interesting Thames Barrier Park is a good benchmark.

I'll pass judgement on this long awaited & much debated project when it's finished but so far it looks a total disappointment to me, outrageous cost aside. The runway through the middle, the paucity of trees and the oh so very dull flat landscaping make it look like a Brutalist mistake from the past. Even small patches of green in the City that have been re done in recent years have some pleasing curves and shape to them.

Yes there was token consultation but did they listen? Evidently not.
Sunday 11 February 2007 9.42pm
I'm amazed by how long its taken to even get this far. For months all I could see were men pushing piles of earth around with bulldozers working towards some grand masterplan, yet now after all this time, it appears we've been left with a fairly ordinary result.

However, the main "runway" as its being refered to, will actually be well used, as the thousands of City workers heading to/from London Bridge station every day can now cut directly across the park i.e. the most direct route to Tooley St/London Bridge station. For years I would cut across the grass in all seasons and would end up with muddy shoes, so I'm glad they've carefully considered this particular aspect of the design (even if it is a bit too wide).

I agree that there may still be a little too much concrete in the overall design, but it's still early days so we'll wait to see how it turns out.
Sunday 11 February 2007 11.44pm
In my opinon its not the grand design i envisaged, how on earth has this cost 3 million?

I think in years to come the design will look dated.

a waste of time and money
jas
Monday 12 February 2007 11.05am
It looks like the 3 million pounds redevelopment is coming to an end - however from what I can see, now that fences are being removed, is what looks like the typical pub refurbishment. It's hard to spot any difference!

They seem to have fixed the bricks and laid out new lawns, that's all. Not even a playground? That sort of money would have made a nice financial injection into the most inadequate primary school of the country - located just opposite :-(

Instead, city workers can have a more enjoyable lunchbreak. I'm amazed that this is just another of those superficial facelifts, and real social local issues are just buried underneath the new grass. I want my tax back!
Monday 12 February 2007 12.18pm
Have they done anything fancy to protect the grass. The RHS gardens at Wisley have grass in the most busy areas laid onto some form of rubber so that it can take heavy traffic better. This, I assume, would be expensive.

No playground just means that the black balls and stuff on the other side of the GLA building will be used instead. And great fun they are too. Kids. local or tourist, do need to hang out and play.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: