Streetcar

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Tuesday 6 February 2007 2.23pm
Hi - I know that Streetcar has been discussed previously on this forum, and I believe most people's experiences have been positive. Well, at least mine have, so it was to my big disappointment to hear that my nearest location, behind Southwark Bridge Road, has been closed. The next 2 locations, Waterloo and Farringdon, are too far away. Streetcar are looking for new locations, and I have already provided them with a couple of leads on Southwark Street. If you used to use the Southwark location, and you know any new locations, just email them to Streetcar. To me, for the last 2 years or so, it has been the perfect alternative to owning a car, and judging by the difficulties I sometimes had booking a car due to availability, I am not the only one. If you feel the same, just keep your eyes peeled and send any dontact detaisl for suitabel parking spaces to Streetcar. The ones I send were for Unioncarparks, but I think the problem is the might be closedon Sundays.
Tuesday 6 February 2007 2.33pm
[sorry if this is a little o/t]
I'd be interested to know whether they work out reasonable to hire for a two or three day stretch (which is the only thing I'd use one for, really).

If you've ever done that, I'd welcome any comments. Thanks.

...if you press it, they will come.
Tuesday 6 February 2007 2.41pm
I really only ever use them for 2 - 4 hours max. For longer trips I rent from Avis, which I think comes down roughly to the same you'd pay with Streetcar. Somehow I think a "proper" rent car is more reliable than a car used mainly for driving around town, but that may just be me.
Tuesday 6 February 2007 2.58pm
They should use Bartholomew Street, it would make a change from six or eight coaches parked illegally, all near a school, or near New kent road end...
Tuesday 6 February 2007 3.15pm
I use streetcars for longer trips and never have a problem with their performance. We rented one for 4days over Christmas and have been camping with one. When you go longer distances it is true that it does not really represent a good monetary saving over a hire car, howver the convenience really makes it worthwhile and plus most hire car places are only open certain hours of the day. You can hire and return streetcar whenever you want, therefore only every paying for the time that you need it for.

Gemma
Tuesday 6 February 2007 3.47pm
Thanks both of you for your comments. I looked at them way back and I thought that they were going to work out more expensive than "regular" hire cars for 2 or 3 day hires.

I'll look again.

Tuesday 6 February 2007 4.49pm
From the Streetcar site:

"Time charges
24 hours (weekdays) : 35.00
24 hours (weekends) : 49.50

Distance charges
Streetcar provides 30 miles' free petrol per calendar day. After that, additional mileage is charged at 19p per mile. "

That makes it too expensive compared to a hire car for weekends away, in my book. Never mind. Nice idea.

Tuesday 6 February 2007 6.15pm
It is the mileage which really makes it expensive. 30 miles a day is nothing, and 19p a mile is expensive.

They are advertising a lot right now, and flyering by Waterloo station.
Wednesday 7 February 2007 12.17am
Are you sure 19p a mile is expensive?

Sorry for the long rambling post, but....

When you hire a car from Budget/Avis or whatever, you have to fill the car with petrol.

Petrol costs about 90 pence a litre, and the average car will do about 7 miles per litre (32 miles per gallon in old money). Therefore, just to run a normal hire car costs about 13p a mile. When petrol was 1 a litre, the fuel costs of a normal hire car became 14p a mile.

Still cheaper than Streetcar, perhaps, but with Streetcar the first 30 miles of each day are free. The point at which Streetcar becomes more expensive than a normal hire car is when you average more than 95 miles per day. If petrol rises to 1 a litre again, the tipping point is if you're driving more than 105 miles per day.

Combine this with the convenience of Streetcar (no filling in long forms, no waiting for the hire company's office to open just to drop off the car), and my money's on Streetcar every time. I just wish there were more cars in the area.
Wednesday 7 February 2007 1.09am
Are you sure about 32mpg? This may be true for a 1.6 Golf (which is what Streetcar use in my experience) if driven exclusively in the city, however, when you are averaging 95 miles a day, you are more likely to be driving outside of urban areas (95 miles in central London would probably take a week!), in which case the mpg would be closer to 50.

In addition to which, with Budget/Avis etc. you have the option of a more economical car (e.g. a smaller car or a car with a diesel engine) which can do 70mpg or better on the motorway.

I use both Streetcar and traditional hire companies, and there is no doubt that Streetcar is usually more expensive, even if more convenient.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: