Controlled Parking Zone review: zones C1, C2 & D

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Sunday 11 February 2007 9.55am
I've just got the C2 CPZ Review leaflet through my door. I can't see how the proposed changes benefit anyone. In fact, extending the hours of operation to Saturday mornings seems to make it worse for local residents AND businesses (at least on my street), and these are the groups it's purporting to help.

If it's also about "traffic flow and road safety in roads with single yellow lines" then why not extend to the whole of Saturday? And Sunday?

I'm thinking that extending to Saturday morning will raise more cash from meters. I'm also concerned that the sentence "Current government legislation requires that CPZs must be self-financing, which means that it is not possible to enforce, review or amend a CPZ without making a charge for parking" is a warning that parking charges will go up next year to pay for this review and all the changes that they are recommending (there are more than just the extension of the hours of operation).

Finally, the leaflet says you can download the proposals from the CPZ review page on the council's website. I've been on it, there's nothing but FAQ's.

I'm interested to know if anyone's got a particular situation where the proposals will benefit them, or if I'm missing something which will benefit me which the council-speak leaflet isn't telling me.
Sunday 11 February 2007 12.33pm
I've never been very happy with the C1 and C2 split. There is only a very small amount of C1 parking, but the charge remains the same. I think it would better to merge the area back to C zone again.

I completely agree about the pay and display parking, it's just an attempt to make more money.

Residents should also be allowed to park on pay and display parking, as happens elesewhere in the borough.
Sunday 11 February 2007 1.07pm
Residents in all parking zones of the borough have to pay to park on pay and display or meters regardless as to whether they have a residents parking permit or not. IMHO we need more residents parking bays, especially in the D zone
Sunday 11 February 2007 5.28pm
In some areas there are shared pay and display residents bays, so you can either pay or display a residents permit. Spa Road has one like that. Lambeth also has lots of bays designed in this way.

However, you are right, we need more residents bays.
Monday 12 February 2007 7.10am
Gaffers right...another excuse for saturday charges, i live in a small street, which monday to friday resembles a coach/lorry/skip/heavy plant parking in resident bays, and on yellow lines..Week-ends parking is no problem.

wardens never appear in our street until 5.20pm onwards, just in time to catch the unwary who park in residents bays visiting people who live there, they are clamped almost immediately!
Monday 12 February 2007 9.06am
In our part of zone D also under consulation. Parking on a saturday isn't usually a problem, but Sundays are. We only use the car at weekend and it usually have to aprk 3 or 4 streets away because of the increase of flats in our area with no increase of residents parking bays.
Sharing with pay and display will help during the week as these are usually empty wilst residents bays are few and far between, but it will not solve the sunday problem when all spaces are taken presumably by people visiting.
It will also be good to have visitors parking which we currently do not have.
Monday 12 February 2007 10.04am
Jac, presumably you would favour extending the control hours to all day Sunday, and Saturday? I can see why your circumstances would benefit from that.

However, I think for you, as for me, Saturday morning controls do nothing, except cause disruption for residents and businesses.

As for having shared bays, I'm not so sure they are a good idea. We have a few pay and display bays in my area and, like you, they aren't used all the time. But I have a feeling this is because there are so few of them that people won't make a journey if they are relying on one being free. Whereas suddenly increasing the number of available pay and display bays, by sharing with resident bays, will increase the number of people using them, to the detriment of residents. I hope my logic is clear.
Monday 12 February 2007 12.33pm
This from Cllr Adele Morris:
Cllr Adele Morris wrote:
To give opportunity for the public to view the plans two staffed, drop-in public exhibitions will be held at:
Meeting room adjacent to Local History Library,
John Harvard Library,
211 Borough High Street
Thursday 22 Feb from 1.15pm to 6.45pm and
Saturday 24 Feb from 10.15am to 1.45pm.
The zone maps for each zone review will be on by Wednesday 14/02/07.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 12 February 2007 12.56pm
gaffer wrote:
Jac, presumably you would favour extending the control hours to all day Sunday, and Saturday? I can see why your circumstances would benefit from that.

Not necessarily, whilst it would solve our problem so would policing the residents bays on a sunday, they are filled with non residents who could be parked legally on a single yellow on sundays. Of course we could to but would then have to repark later when the other cars are gone.

As for the shared bays, in our case I do not think there would be a problem. The reason they are not used IMO is that there are more than required. The roads are residential so there is no demand for short term parking from shops, offices etc. There is not enough resident bays. It is possible once we have visitor parking the demand would increase but if they were limited to the current resident bays then parking several streets away would become the norm what ever the day/time.
Monday 12 February 2007 1.30pm
I complained to the council about the lack of residents parking around Bermondsey street and wilds rents and was told that a parking permit only gives you a right to park and no guarantee of spaces. That means they can sell for arguements sake 20,000 permits knowing there are only 10,000 spaces. With the amount of new flats being built in this area we will soon get to the point that you cannot park.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: