Anti Social Behaviour - Throwing Eggs

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 14 February 2007 1.01pm
The last two nights, walking home from the gym at about 7:30pm-8:00pm, there have been a group of people throwing eggs at pedestrian. This happened to me both Monday and Tuesday nights at the corner of New Kent Road and Rodney Place, where eggs were thrown (aimed VERY close to me!) from the higher grounds of the Heygate estate. It is very infuriating for pedestrians, and not to mention what a waste of eggs!

My boyfriend phoned up the Southwark Council to report this anti social behaviour, but as it turned out the council only then sends an email to the police to notify of the incident. If we were to report to the police directly, it would have been a tedious interviewing process, not to mention that the reporters do not remain anonymous.

But the major thing is, I suppose those "kids" would never get caught. (I say kids to describe the immature mental age of these people, as I do not know whether they were adults or teenagers, etc) It is just such a shame this has to happen, and nothing would be done about it. I just hope they run out of money soon to buy these eggs so I can walk safely home without having my good jacket ruined.

Just a good rant to lift it off my chest!
Wednesday 14 February 2007 1.13pm
You could email East Walworth Safer Neighbourhood Team:
EastWalworth.SNT@met.police.uk

It's the sort of thing they need to know about, if they don't already.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 14 February 2007 1.42pm
We have the same problem were I live, on pages walk, the kids on the Harrold Estate seem to think its good to throw eggs are cars parked in our flats. We had the Neighbourhood team round, the took photos and that was it and never been back.
Thursday 15 February 2007 2.29pm
Yes, this seems to become very popular amongst the youngsters for a few weeks and then it stops for a bit.

An egg just missed me as I walked down London Road at the end of last summer. (opposite the Blackwells bookshop)

I also had an egg thrown through my open kitchen window the previous summer, to which the police were completely disinterested (reported as criminal damage as wallpaper needed replaced)
Thursday 15 February 2007 2.47pm
I live on the Heygate Estate (in Balfour Street) and noticed that this starting happening after Halloween a couple of years ago. The kids used eggs and flour to "trick" when they didn't get a treat but they discovered that throwing things from a great height had a much bigger impact. It is EXTREMELY dangerous as they throw these things at moving cars on Heygate Street and from the ramp crossing Rodney Road. It won't be long before a driver swerves into a pedestrian as a result. If I see kids doing this, I always stop and explain to them how dangerous it is but I'm a forty something and therefore an ancient old biddy to them. I will certainly back up any complaint you make.
Thursday 15 February 2007 10.49pm
Thanks for all your responses. RiaMia, thanks so much for explaining the rationale to those kids. Whether it makes a difference... well, at least something is being done about it! I haven't been to the gym the last two nights so thankfully haven't had any eggs hurled at me yet. But every time I walk home from work I am worried that flying eggs will pass my head. Hopefully the kids have ran out of pocket money to buy eggs .... and grow up and do something more constructive.

Thanks for the email address too, will definitely email them.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: