Good book about SE1?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Thursday 15 February 2007 6.50pm
I'd like to read about the history of Southwark and Borough. I've read some of the well-known general histories of London, like the ones by Peter Ackroyd and Roy Porter, and am looking for something that focuses specifically on the SE1 area. Does anyone have any good suggestions?
Thursday 15 February 2007 7.22pm
Have you asked Crokatt and Powell - I'm sure they'd be able to point you in the right direction...
Thursday 15 February 2007 10.33pm
For books about Southwark and the Borough you need to go to Southwark Local History Library at the back of John Harvard Library on Borough High Street.

They sell a range of local history books.

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/history/more.html

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Friday 16 February 2007 8.00am
Michael Collins' The Likes of Us is a history of the white working class, focussed on Elephant and Castle and surrounding area.
Friday 16 February 2007 9.25am
Richard Tames has a book called Southwark Past which is quite interesting
Friday 16 February 2007 9.58am
Thanks for these suggestions. The Richard Tames book looks like the kind of thing I had in mind - a shame there doesn't appear to be a paperback. Guess I'll have a browse at the library and see if there's anything I'd like to have my own copy of.
Friday 16 February 2007 10.14am
I enjoyed The House by the Thames. It's a bit more narrative than the Richard Tames book, but with a lot of history of the area.
Friday 16 February 2007 10.27am
Longlaner if you want to borrow my copy of the Richard Tames book send me a pm and we can arrange it
Friday 16 February 2007 10.42am
dee dee. Excuse my ignorance but what's a pm? Michael Collins is a childhood friend of mine (we were the kids that moved into the Heygate while he was living in Henshaw Street). For my sins, I'm still there though I did fly the nest and returned in 2000 to look after my ailing parents. I have two copies of Michael's book and would be happy to lend one to longlaner but I suspect he wants more of a general history book.

No matter how I struggle and strive, I'll never get out of this world alive. - Little Willys
Friday 16 February 2007 10.53am
PM = private message

A message exchanged directly between two (or more) forum members rather than publicly.

So for example to send me a private message you would use the "Reply via PM" link at the bottom of this message.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: