Calder Bookshop

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Saturday 17 February 2007 9.42am
I'm so sorry this splendid place is shutting. All this talk of South Bank regeneration - baloney. It seems that all people want is more eateries. A gem like the Calder is not wanted by the chattering masses. Consider this: all the talk about Borough High Street - the one thing the area is crying out for is a book shop. What we'll get is another coffee emporium.

Related news & features

Zoe
Saturday 17 February 2007 11.24am
I am also very unhappy to hear this. I live on The Cut, and it seems that we are destined to become an area of restaurants, loud drinkers and coffee shop.

The manager in Calder, John, was a lovely man, and I'm really sad to see him go.
Tuesday 27 February 2007 7.47pm
Am I alone in thinking it poor taste to embed an advert from Amazon in the news article about an independent bookshop closing?
Tuesday 27 February 2007 11.47pm
bucketofwater wrote:
Am I alone in thinking it poor taste to embed an advert from Amazon in the news article about an independent bookshop closing?

Automatic on Googles part I believe, just spots a key word "book" and runs with it. Last year there was a worse one advertising shooting training courses above a news article on a local armed crime involving guns! I think James has managed to stop those sort from going through now. I think we can say in this case it's unfortunately ironic that it was the "perfect" spot for Amazon even though I'll miss Calders, the writing is on the wall for the book trade (pardon the pun).
Tuesday 27 February 2007 11.55pm
Oh and I believe the book advertised with the Amazon link was written by the John Calder of the bookshop itself so no harm done here. He was Samuel Beckett's publisher for over thirty years. If you're interested go here for more: http://www.naxosaudiobooks.com/PAGES/theinterview.htm

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: