St George's, Borough High Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 22 February 2007 11.22am
I haven't been able to find another thread relating to this subject, so here goes..

The scaffolding around the church is in the process of being dismantled and I'm now curious to know what element, if any, of the 3.6 million renovation budget, raised through a combination of private donations and the selling off of church owned property to private developers, was spent on the exterior - if any.
The main objective of the project as I understand it was to underpin the foundations, but the opportunity [while the scaffolding was in place] to repair and clean the exterior appears to have been squandered. Parts of the external stone and brickwork appear to be as chipped, cracked, scruffy and covered in mould and the effects of polution as they were before this scheme was undertaken.

Another disconcerting aspect [to me at least] is what appears to be the almost complete destruction of vegetation on the Tabard Street side of the church.

I do not have a complete knowledge of the works required to make the church safe [could someone who does enlighten me?] and there is still a chunk of scaffolding to be removed to reveal what's left of the garden. However, I thought the stabilising works included removal of just one of the trees adjacent to the north facing wall. It seems all of the trees on that side have been savagely cut back, currently leaving a couple of ugly, half-height stumps, and does anything remain of the neglected fig tree on the corner with BH Street?

For a [short] while a large advertising banner was erected covering the south facing facade. This was presumably part of another scheme to raise funds, but was only up there for a few days - hardly worth the effort - why did it not stay up there longer?

Yrs, curious.

Related news & features

Thursday 22 February 2007 11.41am
The only thing I've noticed is that they've cleaned the tower where the old clockface was. In 'The Story of the Borough' by Mary Boast (one of those little local history books yu can buy at the library, and Vinopolis) she says it was the one face that was gas lit. I was hoping they'd leave it as a talking point.
Thursday 22 February 2007 11.59am
There also appears to be a boarded up window on one side where the scaffolding is coming down.
Monday 26 February 2007 2.49pm
"For a [short] while a large advertising banner was erected covering the south facing facade. This was presumably part of another scheme to raise funds, but was only up there for a few days - hardly worth the effort - why did it not stay up there longer? "

These advertisments(known as "building wraps" are a revolting, local eyesore.
I'm really shocked anyone would want to see them in place longer.
I was about to complain about the one on St Georges when it suddenly disapeared.
Please don't support these things - I would frankly rather see the building crumble - if people are prepared to dontae to keep St George's standing, it doesnt mena St georges should make me face an ad for Lucozade the size of a battleship.
Monday 26 February 2007 4.55pm
easyrecall wrote:
I'm really shocked anyone would want to see them in place longer.

easyrecall, you have mis-interpreted my comment about the "building wrap". I have not suggested that it should have been in place any longer than it was, but was certainly curious to know why, once this idea to raise extra funds was formed and executed, the advert lasted only a few days. I find it hard to believe it was worth the investment by the company concerned, but just maybe someone didn't do their homework and get planning permission for it???
Tuesday 27 February 2007 7.57am
it still looks a bit tatty..
Tuesday 27 February 2007 3.27pm
sorry janefs, i did misinterpret you, aplogies
Tuesday 27 February 2007 5.05pm
easyrecall wrote:
sorry janefs, i did misinterpret you, aplogies

No problem, I'll recover.
However, I'm almost regretting the disappearance of the banner and the scaffolding now - the church appears no better externally than before the work was started [apart from the re-gilded weather vane], so to all those who use the place, I hope the remodelled interior proves worth the wait.
Tuesday 27 February 2007 9.57pm
it looks awful! all those months covered in scaffolding i expected a spruced up gem of a church but its as dirty and neglected-looking as ever...what was the money spent on????? whose money was it???
Wednesday 28 February 2007 10.06am
The money was ENTIRELY raised by the sale of my old books in the Oak ;0)

Which will be why they've not had the funds to do much to the place, I expect

...if you press it, they will come.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: