Strata - Castle House development - aka Multiplex Tower

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 106 of 120
TAK Saturday 24 July 2010 9.37pm
one can only speculate without a press release from the developer....

As far as I know some people only saw them turning a number of short periods - I think before anyone moved in.
Therefore I think residents didn't even have the chance yet to complain.
This leaves the possibility that noise or vibrations were so bad on the test run that they can't turn it on with people moving in.
Or a third option - they wait before all sales have completed - just in case there will be a problem later on?
Or maybe not all of the external cladding bits and grilles are complete - I still see that cradle going down the back facade at all the times. Is it for health and safety they can't run them with the cradle being operated?

speculation, speculation, speculation.... but surely someone out there must know what's up. Anyone could shed some light please?
urbanite Monday 26 July 2010 1.49pm
There would be contractual dificulties if they can't operate them I guess. If the building has been sold on the premise that they will offer some electricity generation - albeit based on when or if the wind blows with sufficient strength - then to turn thwm off because of noise and/or vibration would be a contractual issue which should allow the possibility of breach of contract.
The Mapmaker Monday 26 July 2010 2.01pm
I very much doubt it. (And if there were a problem, then the leaseholders would most likely be the ones to pay for the upgrading to the turbines. Good money after bad...)

Anyway, still waiting to see them turning...
Katman Monday 26 July 2010 2.26pm
The Mapmaker wrote:
I very much doubt it. (And if there were a problem, then the leaseholders would most likely be the ones to pay for the upgrading to the turbines. Good money after bad...)
Anyway, still waiting to see them turning...

If I were a resident, I'd hope the thing fails, and vote not to fix it. It's a useless piece of gimmick - doesn't really affect the flats, so shouldn't affect value. The power it's supposed to generate can be offset by turning them into an observation deck and charging tourists for the view (like every other tall building in the world). Heck, maybe that can be a good revenue generating idea for Strata!
jamesup Monday 26 July 2010 6.26pm
They don't seem to have been moving since I moved in.

Given how deathly silent my flat is I'll be pretty suprised if the sound issues and vibration amount to much - they seem to know what they are doing with sound insulation, at any rate.

@urbanite - there's nothing in the lease processing electricity - it's only for the communal areas anyway. Any issues are between Brookfield and the manager, which is also Brookfield. I don't see that one ending up in court.
jamesup Monday 26 July 2010 6.27pm
They don't seem to have been moving since I moved in.

Given how deathly silent my flat is I'll be pretty surprised if the sound issues and vibration amount to much - they seem to know what they are doing with sound insulation, at any rate.

@urbanite - there's nothing in the lease processing electricity - it's only for the communal areas anyway. Any issues are between Brookfield and the manager, which is also Brookfield. I don't see that one ending up in court.
jackie rokotnitz Tuesday 27 July 2010 8.05am
Those turbines better know...I'm watching. So far nothing. But those little pixie ears red lights are quite cute.
JonR Tuesday 27 July 2010 2.55pm
so a typical journalist article then; notice that they're on, notice that they're off, and make something up about noise and vibration. As I've said before, on this scale of project, there are many stages when someone will have asked "will these turbines cause excessive noise, or vibration", and it will have been designed out, so the likelyhood of residents complaining about noise or vibration should be very low. my guess is that they're doing safety tests on them, and waiting until the other works using the lift thing have finished.

hmm katman, so you'd prefer to have a none working turbine, pay extra for your communal electricity because of this, and let the public have access to the roof, using the lifts more, and using more electricity, and hope that the fee would cover all the extras (like staff, and display boards, and ticketing and extra mainenance, and window cleaning (can't let the public view London through dirty windows!))
sean@elephant Friday 30 July 2010 5.33pm
Any views from residents so far?
squish Saturday 31 July 2010 2.47pm
I moved in to my flat two weeks ago. It has been a 3 year wait but worth it! The place is amazing. The staff are very friendly.

There are moves every day, and one of the lifts is padded and designated the move lift. It's a 3 month completion programme so of course early days yet. Maybe 50 out of 400 occupied so far? Nobody else on my floor yet.

My east facing flat has great views, from St. Pauls through the City, Monument, Tower Bridge, the Olympic Stadium, Canary Wharf and Greenwich. London seems very small. Watching the trains, planes and buses is fun. London looks amazing in the dark. There were fireworks somewhere to the west of the City on my first night.

The build quality is second to none - I had a professional snagger come in - there was barely anything wrong (a bit of paint here or there).

I love the lifts. No buttons inside. I can't get to any floor but my own. (Pity in a way, that sky lobby area on floor 39 looks nice from the photos.) Very secure.

BT are being painfully slow giving me a phone line, and the mobile reception (T-mobile) in my flat is appalling. No phone, no broadband, no 3G reception, barely any GPRS data, poor mobile reception. I guess there aren't any transmitters pointing upwards :)

I'm really looking forward to them completing the removal of the subways. It will transform the experience.

James
Current: 106 of 120

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions