Strata - Castle House development - aka Multiplex Tower

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 112 of 120
Friday 24 September 2010 9.27am
We were told at the last resident meeting (last week) that the management team were aware of the noise problem away from the building (there is actually - and strangely - no problem within the building or indeed near the Turbines where I was quite recently).

They are having sounds measurements taking to see how loud it is and all that.

Am not sure what they can do about it if it is though.

there was a problem with the Eastern turbine but it has been working for the past few days so I am guessing this is sorted now. I think they are still in the process of "commissioning" them as they say, though.
Friday 24 September 2010 2.33pm
Very odd turbines then... virtually no noise for residents but those living in proximity are bothered by them???
Friday 24 September 2010 2.54pm
That's called diffraction. I couldn't hear anything at the base of the building.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffraction

Knew that GCSE would be useful one day.

No idea how all the venturi effects, wind speeds and sound wave diffraction would interact. Interesting stuff though, this is the first implementation of it's kind - it's a learning experience, though I hope it's not causing a nuisance while they work it out.
Friday 24 September 2010 4.58pm
Ah HA! I am away but coming back next month and I will have my ears pricked...if my terrace is going to be subjected to the sound of frogs it wont be good!
Monday 27 September 2010 4.36pm
Howdy Strata residents. I'm curious how it is living in this new addition to The Elephant landscape? I'm presuming that a lot of new residents have never lived in the area before - how are you finding it?

I guess I am curious as Strata is really an obvious new more up-market part of the area. In lieu of the proposed regeneration of the area, which was probably a big attraction to buying into the Strata, the area is decidedly down-market. As I understand it, in response to the economic downturn, some buyers have now decided to live in the tower instead of selling on. If that is the case, how is it?

Sorry, being very sociological. Probably none of my business!
Monday 27 September 2010 5.04pm
I'm wondering which pub Srata residents will frequent..The Rockingham Arms or The Charlie Chaplin?
Monday 27 September 2010 8.44pm
@Merlin Rouge: I think that quite a large number of residents (at least in the affordable section - first 10 floors) have been residents of the area for quite a while (you get priority if you are local with the housing assoc).

I have myself lived on London Road for 5 years before moving to Strata. It was ideal for me. A "swanky" place in the area I wanted to live in.

I can't really speak about the residents of the upper floors, the majority of whom seem to be renting and are therefore likely to come from further afield.

At the end of the day, yes the area as a bad (and in my view undeserved) reputation but it's so central and practical transport wise, that it does make sense to move here, if you want to live centrally. And things can only get better, right?
Tuesday 28 September 2010 8.21am
After ten years in the Elephant I can say that I find the area as scruffy and unaesthetic as ever, and the promised regeneration looks a long way off...but as we all agree it's so wonderfully central I dont care if people look down on us - stuff'em. I dont have to go anywhere out of the district to shop - I can live without Harvey Nichols - and it probably WILL get better, although I'm not sure any more that it will be in my lifetime! Waiting to be invited to visit Strata by the people who've bought the top floor...ha ha!
Tuesday 28 September 2010 9.05am
@nigel You forgot the Hampton Court as our local (at the back) but in any case, we do organise regular "flat-crawls" rather than going to the pub :)
Tuesday 28 September 2010 11.15am
Yeah, Hampton Court is nearest. Fortunately some bright Edwardian invented the Bakerloo Line!
Current: 112 of 120

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: