Window Cleaning Scam

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 22 February 2007 8.01pm
I live in a block of flats in SE1 and earlier this week a man claiming to be a window cleaner knocked on a door asking for 15 as he was going to clean the windows (I didn't pay him). I then watched him leave the building and walk off.

I checked with the caretaker and this was a scam as there is no window cleaning arrangement for the building.

Watch out for this scam elsewhere in SE1

R
Thursday 22 February 2007 10.02pm
Thanks for flagging this up - worth knowing. This guy's approach is an improvement on the boy who came up to me in Chiswick (yes, Chiswick) and asked for 20 "to buy a really good game". What was that about?
Friday 23 February 2007 10.15am
Ha - that's brilliant. What a great display of initiative. They were talking on Today this morning about how kids have better entrepreneurial skills than they're given credit for.
Jac
Friday 23 February 2007 12.39pm
chuckalata wrote:
Ha - that's brilliant. What a great display of initiative. They were talking on Today this morning about how kids have better entrepreneurial skills than they're given credit for.

Who mentioned kids had anything to do with this? Why do they have to take the blame for everything? Eprhaps if we (as a nation not individuals) treated our kids better maybe they would have more respect for us.
Friday 23 February 2007 12.46pm
Jac wrote:
chuckalata wrote:

Who mentioned kids had anything to do with this? Why do they have to take the blame for everything? Eprhaps if we (as a nation not individuals) treated our kids better maybe they would have more respect for us.

Er, longlaner said that a boy came up to him in Chiswick asking for money for a game. That's what I was referring to as a great display of initiative, I should have made that clearer but hadn't had any coffee at that point. I just thought it was funny that he didn't even bother to think of a scam, just asked someone for money for a really good game. I don't have a problem with kids, except when they chuck things through my window or spit at me in the street, I just honestly thought it was quite funny that a boy would go up to a complete stranger and just ask them for money for a game. Even if it is really good.
Friday 23 February 2007 12.52pm
What is it about this forum sometimes? Some people are so ready to jump down others' throats!
Jac
Friday 23 February 2007 12.58pm
Chuckalata maybe I need a coffee too I was skimming through the thread having read the first 2 posts before and saw the word "this guy" and missed the followinmg reference to boy. sorry. I'm just a bit sensitive as kids always seem to get a rough ride on this site and whilst some may deserve it there are some great kids (teenagers) out there in SE1 too.
Jac
Friday 23 February 2007 1.04pm
Just moved out of SE1 wrote:
What is it about this forum sometimes? Some people are so ready to jump down others' throats!
I try not to do that but as I said in the post I was writing whilst you posted yours Im sorry for being so quick judge in this case. I guess we all have our pet subjects that we can be a bit over sensitive about. I was just trying to put in a good word for a group that usually get such bad press.
Friday 23 February 2007 2.00pm
Just to be clear: I was in no way suggesting that the perpetrator of the scam mentioned by Richard H was likely to be a child. I agree that demonizing children is no way to stimulate them and make them feel happy and well-adjusted. We've heard recently that Britain's young people are some of Europe's least contented, and I am not surprised, as they seem forever to be caught in the political and social crossfire.

I was merely suggesting that scams come in all shapes and sizes, and was dropping in what I thought was quite an amusing anecdote about a recent encounter with someone whose chutzpah was pretty extraordinary. The important thing in all of this is that Richard H has flagged up a scam which is likely to be repeated, and it's exactly the sort of opportunism that can catch out the unwary.
Jac
Friday 23 February 2007 2.07pm
Longlaner you are right indeed the same scam has been reported on this site before.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: