Old Kent Road Tesco

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Friday 23 February 2007 1.51pm
Oh Dear
Looks like the queues at the checkout are going to be longer for a while. On Wednesday 21 February the immigration services swooped on Tesco at the Old Kent Road and took away eleven people for questioning.
Friday 23 February 2007 2.13pm
Gosh, I really noticed this morning that there were fewer checkout desks....fancy that.
Friday 2 March 2007 12.19pm
Does anyone know what teh placard was about yesterday - I think it said something about Tesco and Bermondsey and Crime

Only registered half the placard tho
Friday 2 March 2007 12.42pm
KM
Monday 5 March 2007 9.31am
Sorry if I should split this off James, please do so if you think it's right, but has anyone been to Tesco at E&C lately? Since the end of the Christmas break trying to get through the checkouts has been much worse than previously. On Friday lunchtime I counted 6 open and 9 closed and the queues went right up the aisles.

I looked at the vacancies board and it said there weren't any so they obviously don't think they're understaffed!
Monday 5 March 2007 10.08am
KM wrote:
Since the end of the Christmas break trying to get through the checkouts has been much worse than previously.

I agree - noticed this too.
Monday 5 March 2007 6.41pm
If I can I shop in Iceland in preference to Tesco at E&C - the checkout staff are much more pleasant (actually polite and speak rather than grunt and gesture) and they open extra checkouts if queues build up. Milk and fresh (UK!) chicken is cheaper too. It's a shame their non-frozen range is a bit limited.
Tuesday 6 March 2007 1.03pm
hydrometer wrote:
Oh Dear
On Wednesday 21 February the immigration services swooped on Tesco at the Old Kent Road and took away eleven people for questioning.

I believe it is Tesco's responsibility to check that all their employees are not prevented from working in the UK, so I hope their HR manager is one of those being questioned most closely. I don't blame people for giving it a go, but I do blame Tesco for not checking properly.

If those being questioned include students who are working more than 20 hours, that would be useful to know for my work, so if anyone has more info, it would be gratefully received.
Tuesday 6 March 2007 6.36pm
Hi Andrew

There was a small item in the Southwark News last week but unfortunately I have put my copy in the recycle bin.

The SN stated that only 5 were taken for questioning as opposed to 11 that I was advised of.

It also went on to say that management are co-operating fully. I am afraid I do not know anymore than that.
Jac
Tuesday 6 March 2007 7.21pm
It also stated they were night time workers. So Jackie the long queues were just normal I think. I seemed to be queing quite a lot more recently.

Also had horrid experience with the taxi at the old kent road tesco last week. On cab driver tried to pick me up but didn't know the name of who is was picking up. After loading bags into the car which I only did because it did have its licience on show, the driver who should have been picking me up arrives. He asks my driver if I was jac he said "NO", I said "YES". They then preceeded to argue they were both from the same firm. I tried to get a manager from Tesco to come and sort it as they apoint the firm who can pick up from the store but there wasn't one to be found. Typical! Eventually left with correct driver feeling that I had been made to feel most uncomfortable.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network