Swimming lessons for young children

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 27 February 2007 8.23pm
Can anyone recommend a swimming course for a four-year old ... hopefully in SE1 though I guess this is unlikely due to lack of pools ... all recommendations gratefully received!

I know about Guys but that goes up to two and a half ...

(James ... this may need to relocate to "Chatter")

Many thanks all
Tuesday 27 February 2007 9.30pm
Try St Georges on the Highway. It's not as far as seems.
Tuesday 27 February 2007 9.47pm
Have you contacted SureStart? There's a pool on Druid Street, and I'm pretty sure SureStart used to do lessons or a course there or something, but I'm not sure about the ages they cover.

I'll ask my sis if she knows.
Wednesday 28 February 2007 11.16am
Seven Islands do swimming lessons. Try them.
Wednesday 28 February 2007 12.30pm
Downside Fisher Youth Club

Though it looks as though it might be closed at the moment.
Wednesday 28 February 2007 1.42pm
Try the various websites for Councils near you. They should advertise the various leisure centres and swimming courses in them.

Be warned there is huge demand. The Latchmere in Battersea charged over 100 per child per term for a class of 12, yet there was a waiting list. Courses vary, the Latchmere training pool was fine for beginners, and the teaching was good, but the main pool was not suitable for more advanced swimmers. Clapham Manor (Lambeth) was far cheaper and the thirties style pool was more suitable for real swimming (dont let them close it...) but the teaching was pretty lethargic. People tell me that classes at the Queen Mother Centre in Victoria are good. (C10 bus!)

Follow-on after your child has gone through the levels is even more difficult. My daughter finished the ASA level 12 when she was 7 and I did not want her to stop swimming. Not least because we were repeatedly told - on holiday in France - that she had real potential and should be swimming with a club. (The UK appears to have a poor reputation in helping kids move from grass-roots sport to more structured and competitive training.)She now swims in Barnes, and is doing well, but we are supposed to get her out there four times a week, which we dont. And she was really lucky to get a place. Apparently 140 tried out at the same time as she did. It is also quite expensive, as I think the club is self financing and pool hire and trainers do not come cheap. So much for 2012.
Wednesday 28 February 2007 3.27pm
By coincidence this has just dropped into my mailbox:

Quote:
In the Swim
It's never too late or too early to learn to swim as hundreds of local people have discovered.

Working in partnership with the Amateur Swimming Association's (ASA) National Plan for Teaching Swimming, a recognised and monitored standard for the delivery of swimming, Camberwell Leisure Centre, Dulwich Leisure Centre, Darwin Court and Seven Islands are running courses of swimming lessons for anyone from babies upwards. With thirteen different course levels for Juniors, four 'Adult and Child' levels and five levels for Adults there's pretty much something for everyone.

The lessons, which last 30 minutes, are designed so all individuals are continually assessed throughout the scheme in a safe and fun environment. Each level includes individual feedback on how well the swimmers are progressing through the scheme and badges and certificates are awarded in recognition of their achievements.

The 10 week courses starting in mid March are now open for enrolment. To find a Swim School near you visit the Fusion website www.fusion-lifestyle.com or call the centres direct.

Camberwell Leisure Centre, 020 7703 3024

Dulwich Leisure Centre, 020 8693 1833

Darwin Court, 020 7582 5505

Seven Islands. 020 7237 3296

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 28 February 2007 6.21pm
Both my children go to the Queen Mother in Victoria which is not as bad a journey as it might seem. I gave up trying to find anything in SE1 - used Guy's for baby lessons and tried to get information out of Druid Street but it seemed a bit disorganised; Seven Islands seems to change its mind about whether it runs lessons or not - its website is completely out of date; County Hall has sessions for children but no lessons. I heard that there is going to be a swimming pool at the new Coin Street Children's Centre but don't think this is ready yet (just checked website - scheduled to open September this year).

The classes are run by Swimming Nature - www.swimmingnature.com - and there are all sorts of different levels/ages covered. They're not cheap but there are different options on class sizes which dictate the price. There are three pools there - a warm training pool used up to about age 5; a large pool split into lanes and a small leisure pool with a slide. It's all pretty well organised - the centre is council owned but run by a division of Cannons.
Wednesday 28 February 2007 6.25pm
emmab wrote:
I heard that there is going to be a swimming pool at the new Coin Street Children's Centre but don't think this is ready yet (just checked website - scheduled to open September this year).
Coin Street's proposed pool isn't in the new Children's Centre on Stamford Street, but at the base of a planned 48-storey tower (Doon Street) on the vacant site opposite the National Theatre. It doesn't even have planning permission.
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/2164
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/1786

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 28 February 2007 6.36pm
Oh dear, wishful thinking then!
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: