I need some help from you all...

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 28 February 2007 12.00pm
Hello you cute people!

I am tiling my bathroom (yeah! I am good with my hands!) and as I live in a ex-local authority flat, my walls are way too thick (reinforced concrete or something!) and I can't drill at all even with a hammer drill and diamond bit, can anyone suggest something? I need to hang up a mirror and shower screen and I am getting frustrated....

Any advice welcomed.... and if you come and do the job yourself, you'll get extra Nectar points!! ... and a cuddle.
Wednesday 28 February 2007 12.04pm
Glue.

Very strong glue.

Hang from ceiling?
Wednesday 28 February 2007 1.20pm
Hire a pro drill from Jewsons or somewhere like that. The "domestic" power tools are nowhere near as powerful as the ones they make for "trade".
Wednesday 28 February 2007 1.23pm
And try to do the work when your neighbours are out.
Wednesday 28 February 2007 1.35pm
do i need a pneumatic drill??

I found Hire Station webpage and they have a branch next door to my flat... yo-hooooo!!!
Wednesday 28 February 2007 1.58pm
There are specific types of picture hook which are white plastic with three very thin prongs. These are designed for stone walls, and may work.

The Barbican is built in a similar manner and there they use either glue or diamond tipped drill bits!

Regards,

Loafer
Wednesday 28 February 2007 2.07pm
I have tiled my bathroom for floor to ceiling, all four walls... that's the way to do it! so the hook won't work besides, the mirror is pretty thick and big! but i will keep looking for that 'special' drill and the bits...
Wednesday 28 February 2007 4.58pm
loafer wrote:

The Barbican is built in a similar manner and there they use either glue or diamond tipped drill bits!

Regards,

Loafer

would hate to live in the Barbican, you cant do anyting without applying to the LA for permission.
Monday 5 March 2007 9.33am
Had the same problem drilling hard walls. What you need is a SDS drill. It takes special drill bits, has a hammer action, and works because it is heavy which stops some of the recoil action which loses drilling power. I borrowed one from a neighbour who had the same problem and he bought his for around 30 frrom one of the chains - B&Q I think. As you don't use it much, the cheaper option will last you for the few holes you want to drill, will cost the same as hiring one, and you can lend it to your neighbour
Monday 5 March 2007 11.32am
Geoffs right .
you need a HIlti drill, the walls sound as though they are made from re cast concrete slabs , the same as mine are . but before you go to buy a " cheaper " version , check the daily hire price . . if this fails . try dynamite

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network