Thai Silk Restaurant - Good for Group Booking?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 2 March 2007 10.57am
Hiya - what are people's experience of this restaurant?

I have only been there briefly but I think it is good food and reasonably priced but it is very fast and noisy and not OVERLY friendly. It seems to be the number one in the running for a work social do though that needs to be a bit special, before I book it I am wondering whether they will be good for it, slow down a bit and take more time and care over our booking (of about 20).

Has anyone been there with a group? Or know somewhere else close in the Waterloo area that will be good for a group booking? Taz did us well at Christmas but want to go somewhere new.

Any ideas/suggestions welcome - thanks for your help.

Dee
Friday 2 March 2007 1.11pm
Hello!

Long time lurker but thought I'd register to answer this...

I'd try the Thai Silk just off The Cut, in the arches just behind Southwark Tube. It's relatively quiet compared to the one near Waterloo station, has a very pleasant atmosphere and the staff are always absolutely great. They're very polite and gentle and it feels much more calming than a typical thai restaurant in central London. The trains do rumble overhead from time to time but I hardly notice it!

Oh - almost forgot - the food is very good for the price.
Zoe
Friday 2 March 2007 10.48pm
But please be quiet when you leave!

Both Ev and Thai Silk are great restaurants, and living behind them I would recommend both. They are packed in summer, so they must know what they are doing.

However, visitors don't realise that people in the blocks very nearby can hear everything (it's suprising the number of city workers who row with their partners on their mobiles about being late home).

Also, late night singing does not sound as good as you think it does :-)
Saturday 3 March 2007 1.25pm
timf wrote:
Hello!
Long time lurker but thought I'd register to answer this...

I'd try the Thai Silk just off The Cut, in the arches just behind Southwark Tube. It's relatively quiet compared to the one near Waterloo station, has a very pleasant atmosphere and the staff are always absolutely great. They're very polite and gentle and it feels much more calming than a typical thai restaurant in central London. The trains do rumble overhead from time to time but I hardly notice it!

Oh - almost forgot - the food is very good for the price.

Glad I inspired you timf, it was my first post too! I came across the site searching for reviews of the restaurant. Thanks very much for your suggestion, it sounds like the perfect solution - I've made a plan to try it out first on Tuesday.

Don't worry Zoe, I very much doubt my work group will be loud or singing, but I'll keep it in mind!

Thanks again!
Sunday 4 March 2007 11.18am
Hi,

We've had dinner at Thai Silk (Arches) a few times. Not large groups but I have no doubt they would be able to cater for them. They have a lounge bar on one side for a pre-dinner drink and the restaurant on the other. Food & service is excellent. But check the service charge for groups.
Friday 30 March 2007 2.41pm
Well we had our group of 20 party there last night and it was excellent. Everyone loved it. Great food, great service, atmosphere, reasonable price - everything. If anyone's interested at all I highly recommend it. All of my colleagues keep mentioning to me today what a good choice it was. :)

Thanks again for recommending it!

Dee-Dee
Friday 30 March 2007 2.58pm
Good stuff. I like Suchard Thai too, not my favourite in the world, but in SE1 terms (this end, by London Bridge) - it's OK for group bookings, as you can pretty much block book the downstairs room.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: