Parking Fines & Car Relocation on Tabard St

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 5 March 2007 4.43pm
Hi,

Is anyone else in the same boat as me? I have a residents parking permit for zone D. The street in which I usually park has had its parking suspended due to the upgrading of the Victorian gas pipes. So I parked in Tabard St as it didn't have parking restriction notices on Saturday evening.

Today after lunch, much to my horror, my car wasn't there. There were parking suspension notices in place starting from TODAY. I don't know when they went up, they certainly weren't there dinner time on Saturday because I looked for them up and down the street. I made enquiries and was told my car had been moved around the corner. When I checked on the car, I have a parking ticket issued at 7.06am this morning. Also notices from Southwark Council saying the car has been authorised for repositioning. I also passed quite a few other cars in the same situation. I have called the council who has told me I can appeal the ticket, but they can't tell me how much NOTICE they are supposed to give. (I am presuming they were put up late Saturday evening or Sunday for the following day.) Can anyone offer any advice? I will be definately appealing the ticket.

Thanks....
Monday 5 March 2007 4.51pm
same thing happened to my husband-he parked in Wilds Rents and there was no sign the bay was suspended. They moved his car to Tabard Street - we thought it had been stolen initailly so was a bit alarming. He appealed on the basis the bay was not suspended when he parked there but the council said it was and that was that as we could not prove there was no sign there so we had to pay up.
Monday 5 March 2007 7.07pm
Sharon,
The information on the Southwark website doesn't say exactly, but I think the last paragraphs may be of some use.

http://www.southwark.gov.uk/YourServices/Parking/CPZRegulations/

Southwark Council wrote:
When parking spaces are suspended, a warning notice is usually put on the nearest parking sign or in the case of a parking meter a bright yellow bag is placed over it. Cars parked nearby will have a leaflet put on their windscreen to let the drivers know when the suspension will come into force. However, sometimes this is not possible, particularly if the space is suspended because of an emergency.

Drivers should always check that a bay is in operation before parking. If the car is to be left for a number of days, you should check each day to make sure the space has not been suspended while the vehicle is still parked there.

If you checked the car on Sunday and it didn't have a notice of suspension, you can argue that based on the Southwark website, you complied with their requirements and didn't have sufficient notice of the suspension.
Monday 5 March 2007 7.45pm
Siduhe,

Hi - yes, I've seen that.

Notices - there were no notices as of Saturday approx. 6pm, I did check. I was mindful of the parking suspensions. The first street I usually park in is suspended - we got days, if not a week's notice. The second street I sometimes park in on weekends is not residents parking (yellow line), but it has also had work done last week, again quite a bit of notice. I parked in Tabard St all of last week. There weren't any notices on cars, I checked regularly.

Car left for a number of days - we are talking about a window of about 36 hours until the bay was actually suspended.

Emergency - this can't be an emergency. No visible work was done today. The gas works are still a block away, about 100 meters up the street. The area of Tabbard St I parked in isn't even marked in preparation.

I do feel as if I have complied, otherwise I would just pay the fine. That's why I am questioning the notice given on that street. The parking was illegal after midnight on Monday morning.
Monday 5 March 2007 9.14pm
Sharon

I have just PM'd you a letter to use to the council on the matter.
Tuesday 6 March 2007 9.34pm
se1person,

Received. Many thanks for taking the time to help.
Monday 12 March 2007 9.49am
Having many times [successfully!] battled the anomalies of Southwark's inconsistent, unclear and at times unfair parking rules / whims I suggest you speak to:

Tony Stefano
020 7525 2037
Parking Operations Manager
Southwark Council

He is the metaphoric A-Team of Southwark Parking....

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: