Pubs in Long Lane - Closed

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 3 of 6
Thursday 8 March 2007 7.30pm
As the licencee of 'The Leather Exchange', just around the corner from what was 'Valentines'. I very much hope you will try us. 15 Leathermarket St. off Weston St. :-)
Sunday 11 March 2007 7.52pm
and the Britannia on Kipling St is just off Long Lane. Not open weekends but nice in the week.
Monday 12 March 2007 5.17pm
Ivanhoe - this sounds like there could be a niche market for a great pub on Long Lane (probably one that does proper cider on draught too), did you get a new job in the end, or are you still looking (it's been a while, so i presume you're gainfully employed again).

i've often thought about running/owning a pub, though i've heard it's hard work, and long hours - judging by my drinking habits, and how difficult it is to evict me from a good night in a pub, i'd say that both are fairly accurate.

do you think The Ship is salvageable as a pub?
Wednesday 14 March 2007 11.19am
The Globe on Great Dover St has been lost to us as well. I think that must have been 15 years ago.
Wednesday 14 March 2007 11.49am
In my little corner of SE1 in the 13 years I've lived here, at least five pubs have gone:
The Dover Castle in Library St (now flats)
The Iron Bridge (became The Bridge to China, now closed)
The pub, can't remember what it was called, under the railway bridge on Webber St. (now workspace)
The big pub that was on St George's Circus (now covered in hoarding)
The Winchester, I think it was called, on the corner of Great Suffolk and Southwark Sts. (now flats)

In fact, the only old style pubby-type pubs left in my area that I can think of are The Bell and The Stage Door on Webber St. Perhaps that's why there are so many street drinkers!
Thursday 29 March 2007 2.18pm
bump!

The George on Long Lane, having just been repainted, now has an agents board outside ...
Thursday 29 March 2007 2.58pm
JonR wrote:
Ivanhoe - this sounds like there could be a niche market for a great pub on Long Lane (probably one that does proper cider on draught too)
i've often thought about running/owning a pub, though i've heard it's hard work, and long hours

do you think The Ship is salvageable as a pub?
It is long hours and hard work (from my limited experience of the pub trade). And hard to make a profit, as well.

I think I prefer being a customer. But I do think that the Ship might be salvageable (esp if it has a garden)

...if you press it, they will come.
Friday 30 March 2007 2.40am
Julie wrote:
bump!
The George on Long Lane, having just been repainted, now has an agents board outside ...
Which one? There are two of them on Long Lane, if I recall correctly.
Wednesday 11 July 2007 12.31am
Does anyone have any recent news on what may be happening to the four (count 'em) defunct pubs on Long Lane?
Wednesday 11 July 2007 9.18pm
Work seems to have started inside Valentines ... do not know to what end however
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 3 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network