Why are bendy buses preferable to double deckers?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 9 July 2003 6.36pm
Today, new bendy buses begin plying route 507 on .

There are lots of them already on the Marylebone-Lewisham route 453.

Why are they so popular with the authorities?

Surely they occupy twice the precious road space of a double decker carrying the same number of passengers.

They also cannot physically get around some of the tight corners. so they can't be used on all routes.

Apart from using cheaper fuel, which double deckers could also be adapted for, I cannot see why we are using them..

Anyone have any in-depth knowledge?

Post edited (09 Jul 03 18:37)
Thursday 10 July 2003 9.23am
As far as I know, bendy buses have about twice the capacity as double deckers, despite not having an upper deck. The reason? double deckers waste a lot of internal space with stairs and (for safety reasons) do not allow standing on the upper deck).

Therefore, for the same running costs twice the number of passengers can be conveyed.

One other advantage bendy buses have over double deckers is boarding and alighting time, since they have three very wide doors, unlike double deckers where a lot of time is wasted waiting for people to descend staircases (and the inevitable blockage of people that occurs at the foot of the stairs).
Al
Thursday 10 July 2003 11.59am
My first job after uni was at a design consultancy studying the ergonomics and design of the new London double decker and boarding and alighting times with OPO (one person operation) replacing Routemasters.

The most significant factor in timing was often the ticket transaction with the stationary driver, not alighting, so door width/number would usually not make a lot of difference.

Of course it would when there are many more people alighting than boarding eg at interchanges but on the whole it is boarding times that define stop times.
Thursday 10 July 2003 12.59pm
Hasn't there been a big discussion about this before? Maybe James could provide the link....
dan
Saturday 12 July 2003 3.56am
Yes there was a discussion about this before but it was not as polite as this one.

On the boarding time thing... are bendy buses the ones you can get on at any door ? Or have I got confused again

All the best

Dan

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: