Orbit House - opposite The Ring Pub

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 8 January 2002 5.13pm
Well at long last it looks as if work has begun on demolishing the building which I must say will not be missed by me as I open my front door.

From past correspondence there was going to be a new post-modern Will Alsop building taking its place. Is this still the case - or did somone have the brainwave of re-building The Ring?

Also has anyone heard anymore about the appartments that are meant to be going up over Southwark Tube?
Tuesday 8 January 2002 6.22pm
It's a pity about the noise from the demolition work though!
Monday 14 January 2002 9.41am
they are indeed starting to replace a rather delapidated ugly large building with a shiny enourmous ugly building.
To the north we have been enjoying the winter sun as the estate will be permanently in shadow once it has been built.

Monday 14 January 2002 11.54pm
Yes it is going to be an Alsop colossus, check their website
www.southpoint-london.co.uk .

Don't quite know what to think, maybe the developers will run out of money owing to oncoming recession? And just how much empty office space is there already in the area?
Tuesday 15 January 2002 1.38pm
Thanks to you all fot the update.

I must say that having been to the Southpoint website the new building doesn't look much better than what we already have.
Tuesday 22 January 2002 6.43am
I agree, this monstrous looking building had domintaed the corner of Union Street for years, to be replaced by yet another - all in the name of progress - what did they say it was going to be used for?
Wednesday 23 January 2002 8.14pm
It is going to be luxury offices, as if there wasn't enough empty office space in the area!

The developers distributed us nearby residents a nice glossy leaflet, where they ensured all demolition work would be done enclosed inside plastic sheeting. Well there was sheeting around the top two floors until it was taken down, and it is all out in the open now.

Just how much asbestos dust are we all breathing in now in the vicinity?

I wonder if there is a chance of some archaelogy on the site, as they have just discovered a Roman burial site down the road by America Street. Does anybody know anything more on this?
Thursday 24 January 2002 5.40am
If they do find any thing of historical interest, no doubt it will still be built over, I always think of the old Trocette Cinema in Tower Bridge Road, where Trocette Mansions now stand, they found a large site of interest relating to the old Abbey, the Council should have withdrew building permission.

Imagine, ten minutes from The Tower of London all the tourists that would have bought revenue into the borough, they could have created a large structure over it, and gathered all the various relics dotted about Southwark in small museums, and created The Abbey museum.
What with the local antique market nearby it would have been a much needed financial boost for the area.

Incidentally, don't let any 'expert tell you it's only brown or blue asbestos that is dangerous, it's just that brown or blue asbestos was easier to see in body tissue at post-mortems!
Thursday 24 January 2002 4.27pm
Well the Evening Standard piece on the Roman burial ground in America Street stated thet they were still using bulldozers on the site, so I can't see that not being disturbed. Money and developers rule in this borough, never mind the rich history.

The Orbit house site is hitorically interesting already because of the Ring, or originally Surrey Chapel that stood on the site. I wonder if whether they came across anything in the sixties, when Orbit house was built, or did anybody care?

By the way, the site above Southwark tube station, there was already a planning permission for an 18-storey building with short-term accomodation, but they later submitted another application for an 8-storey office block. Whther that was accepted, I don't know.
Tuesday 5 March 2002 7.26pm
So the demolition of Orbit House is well under way. The noise is unbearable almost across the road in Rowland Hill House. Even worse are the constant power cuts. I have been through three in two weeks, the worst being on Tuesday 26th Feb. That took more than 8 hours to repair. According to some operator at 24/7 (LEB) said the demolishers had pulled down the fuse box and mains cable serving 16 properties! How can that be possible? Orbit house was only built in the 50s, it is not likely that they would not know where the cables and fuses are, especially as there is a substation under the building.

I don't even care about the asbestos dust anymore but sitting all day without power is another thing! Anybody else have similar experiences?
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: