New Pizzeria in SE1!

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 1 of 6
Sunday 11 March 2007 7.43pm
We live down Rockingham Street, just off the Elephant and Castle. There's always been a rather grotty retail unit at the top end just behind the Salvation Army building at the junction of Rockingham and Tiverton Street. It's spent a lot of time closed and occasionally been run as a poorly stocked and unattractive corner store. This is in the process of being changed into a new Pizzeria and Italian restaurant. We were walking past and spoke to a couple of people there who showed us around. It's got quite reasonable space in there and they're putting in a wood fired oven for the Pizza. I think we met the proprietor who indicated it should be opening about the first weekend in April. Hopefully it should be pretty good. Maybe even a good replacement for Castellos!
Monday 12 March 2007 7.15am
Mixed feelings here. Living in Metro Central Heights (right beside said prospective pizzeria) we have Nando's and Wetherspoons blasting hot barbecued smoke into our compound day and night, the whole place smells like a chippy rather than a residential complex, I'm not sure if a THIRD one is a good thing. However, very enterprising of the owners, because the new block going up on our parking lot (UGH, curses be upon the head of St.Georges) means we will be even MORE people who will be scoffing Margaritas.
Monday 12 March 2007 8.03am
I know how you feel Jackie, in our small street some plonker gave permission for a pie and mash shop to open about twenty years ago, fair enough, letters were sent out asking if we objected - naturally we said no as a pie shope would only be open six-eight hours during the day.
Pie shop opened and closed within 6 months no one used it because the chef must have been a prison chef...vile food. Two months later it opened as a ' working' mans cafe opening from 6am-6pm 364 days a year.
Apart from living in a street where you cant park because of coaches, skip lorries etc., it's the frying smell of sausages, bacon, tomatoes...
from 5.45am day in and day out, so if I sit in the garden ( or what passes for a garden!) instead of listening to the birds in a leafy fragrant area smelling of honeysuckle, it's like living in the flipping cafe! and i love bacon etc., so it's not the food, but the all pervading smell on a sunny day!
Monday 12 March 2007 9.50am
This is great news! Good to have a new local eating place. Looking forward to it opening.
Monday 12 March 2007 4.27pm
could they use ozone to neutralise smells
- its claimed to work
Monday 12 March 2007 4.30pm
Proper pizza doesn't make the same hydrogentated vegetable fat smell you get from places like pizza hut, so I'm just glad a little bit of life is being brought into what is a dead and unpleasant spot.
Monday 12 March 2007 4.34pm
I understand people's reservations, particularly because of cooking smells, but I'm still glad when good, independent restaurants open nearby. And I suppose with the redevelopment plans focusing on building so many high-density blocks of flats etc, it won't be long before the majority of residents are living above commercial premises of some kind. The village my parents live in gets unbearable in the summer as the heat intensifies the smell of the surrounding farms, so I suppose it could be worse!
Monday 12 March 2007 4.42pm
I honestly wouldnt mind living above any kind of shop or business, but I must say that the deep frying smell of the two below us is just staggering...when people come to me they ask me if I'm having a barbecue...er...NO, it's Nando's chimney which goes all the way up the middle of our courtyard. Why this was ever allowed is one of life's mysteries.
Wednesday 16 May 2007 11.23am
Looks like work is continuing on this building, does anyopne have info about an opening date?
Tuesday 22 May 2007 1.42am
My mate Luis told me it is due to open next month, I'll get him to post here.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 1 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network