Volkswagen garages

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 14 July 2003 1.21pm
I have always used Pursers on the Old Kent Road and was recently so angry with their useless, overpriced, unprofessionalism, that I decided to look elsewhere. I got my service done by Pursers and needed some extra bits doing. When I got the car back, the door strap had been totally removed and not replaced. When I called them and asked them, 10 minutes later they phoned me back to say that I hadn't been charged and they didn't have the part in. As I had to take it back anyway, they gave me a date two weeks later. I took it in at 8.30am after having to pay congestion charge and bus fare back in. At 12.50, they telephoned me to say they didn't have the parts!!!!! I was incensed. I asked them why they couldn't have called me the day before to let me know they didn't have the parts in. Apparently, they didn't even check until they were about to do the work on it.

I then decided to look for another VW garage in SE1. I found the City Volkswagen Service on Sumner Street - just off Southwark Bridge. They had a superb customer car park, a very professional looking reception area with three desks, manned by three people and with seats for the customers on the other side of the desk. They had a price list on the wall of the cost of services, etc. They took my details and even offered me a lift to where I was going!!!!
Three hours later, they called to tell me the cost of the works needing doing. For both jobs - the window strap AND the motor for the window was 219.63. Pursers quoted me 320.00 for the window ALONE!!!! And they couldn't even order it!!!!! City Volkswagen said they would need to order the motor and apologised because it wouldn't be there until the next day!!!!!

Pursers don't have the monopoly in SE1 anymore, so if you want a fantastic alternative, I would definitely recommend City Volkswagen. I will let you know what the work is like when I pick my car up, but definitely take your VW in for a quote! You can bet your life it will be miles cheaper than Pursers and they will treat you the way a customer should be treated - with respect - and not leave you waiting around for ages at a reception desk where three or four people sit and take no notice of you until one of them can actually be bothered to get up out of their seats!
Monday 14 July 2003 1.34pm
Thanks for the tip !

Good garages are hard to find.

We used to have a SAAB and once were foolish enough to try the SAAB City over near St Katherine's Dock.
We came out stunned at the prices for servicing and doing a small repair. We could have bought another second-hand car for the charges they made. Their service was friendly and flash but at the cost of emptying your wallet or taking out a bank loan !
Monday 14 July 2003 1.35pm
I have a 1 litre polo that is perfect for driving around town, is 5 years old and has very little mileage on the clock (30,000) - i.e. it's not beaten up and falling apart.

I used the City Service Centre and had a service there that ended up costing 1,200 for a car that's probably worth at most 4,000.

Although they do offer a very professional service, they do also charge 80 an hour for labour so if you have anything major that needs doing - if you go there - be prepared for a big bill!
Tuesday 15 July 2003 7.42am
I've got an old MG and I take it to Albany Garage on Mina Road off Old Kent Road. They do a good job at a good price - okay, no cappucino while you wait, but who cares!
Wednesday 16 July 2003 9.07am
It is now Thursday and City Volkswagen have phoned to say my car is ready for collection - I only took it there Monday. I can only say that I am absolutely amazed at the speed the work has been carried out in and the much much lower cost than Pursers. In future it looks as though City Volkswagen has a loyal customer!!!!
Monday 21 July 2003 11.53am
I got my car from Pursers and have always had problems with them. Their premises are appalling and totally unsuitable. There is nowhere to park when taking the car for a service. The staff totally ignore you when you go to the service reception and to cap it all, when a coil failed on my Bora I was told that they could not fit me in for 2 weeks!
I now take my Bora to Dovercourt in Battersea, where the staff ar professional and the premises smart and clean. Oh, and by the way Dovercourt fitted the new coil the same day!
jac
Monday 21 July 2003 9.20pm
A few years ago we went to buy a new VW Passat from Pursers, they completely ignored us (we looked too scruffy I suppose), so after half an hour we left, drove to the citroen garage in Whitechapel and bought a Xantia instead.

We've got a VW Golf now ( v. tatty but cheap) and get it serviced and repaired at the garage in Leathermarket Street. They seem pretty good, the last couple of once- a -year services have been 150 each

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network