New (I think) 20mph zone on Grange Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 13 March 2007 10.01am
Signs seem to have gone up in the last 24 hours.
Tuesday 13 March 2007 12.01pm
Should be followed in Long Lane. Sometimes it seems more a F1 racing track with dangerous situations when trying to use the zebra's crossings.
Tuesday 13 March 2007 12.59pm
I think it one of several "Local Safety Schemes". Southwark's 2005 Road Safety Plan sets out the objectives of these:

http://www.southwark.gov.uk/Uploads/File_17443.pdf

Page 18 onwards of the plan gives a few details about priorisation; most schemes seem to be running 1 or 2 years behind schedule (map Page 21).

The area between Grange Road and Tooley St/ Jamaica Road is highlighted as a 20mph zone too.
Tuesday 13 March 2007 3.20pm
What's really stupid is the 30mph zone starts just BEFORE a school on Grange Road! I despair of the street planners!
Tuesday 13 March 2007 7.00pm
That's what struck me as a little odd about it! And before the new health centre. Never mind, at least people visiting the ... er, vets ... will be a bit safer!
Incidentally, how are these 20mph zones policed? Will it be average speed cameras, as on the bridge??
Jac
Tuesday 13 March 2007 7.13pm
I seem to recall hearing sonewhere that Southwark want to make all roads that they control 20mph. So maybe thats explain why it changes perhaps that part of the road is under TFL. Seems daft to me. No idea how they intend to enforce it though.

Sadly not much chance of Long Lane becoming 20mph.
Wednesday 14 March 2007 10.39am
I competely agree with Long Lane being used as a F1 racing track. It seems a lot of drivers take out their frustration from being stuck on busier roads by speeding down the road as fast as they can.

With the vast increase in housing along LL there is a lot more pedestrians including school children and it really annoys me to see speeding cars every day.

So have I got it right that Long Lane is not under Southwark's control but is controlled by TFL? And is that why there is not much hope in LL becoming 20 mph?
In any case I think it would be a great start if the current LL speed limit was enforced/policed - that would be a huge improvement in itself, even without a 20 mph limit.
Jac
Wednesday 14 March 2007 11.40am
Cloe yes I think long lane is under TFL but im not certain. It was also told once at some meeting by a council official that it was a blue route ie a major route for police cars, ambulances, and fire engines and so they can not put in speed restricting measures such as humps etc
Wednesday 14 March 2007 12.05pm
Jac

you are right TFL told me it was a designated blue route so they have to keep it "clear" of calming measures and due to the amount of side streets and entrances the emergency vehicles have to have the sirens and blues lights on of a night as well. I guess with the C 10 any such measures would be impractical anyway.

I would like to see a crossing near where City Walk and Wilds Rents are as lots of people -especially school kids in the mornings cut across the road there and it is very dangerous. perhaps some of the crossings could be made into pelican crossings as well which may help.
Wednesday 14 March 2007 1.46pm
I did ask the council to consider changing the 3 existing zebra crossings in LL to pelican crossings, as a safety issue related to our common concern about traffic speed and children using those crossings but unfortunately, I didn't get any response from them.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: