Southwark Refuse Disposal

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 1 of 9
Tuesday 15 July 2003 7.47am
Hmmm.

Wonderful that the bins aren't being collected this week, they are starting to smell already - by Monday they'll be in fine form.

I think I'll go on a payment strike for my council tax.

Post edited (15 Jul 03 08:48)
Tuesday 15 July 2003 9.16am
I got a letter yesterday to warn me about it, not really much of an advanced warning. I hate to think what state the bins will be in. My husband thinks that we should just take our rubbish down to the council offices and let them deal with it. You' would think that the council would make alternative arrangements, but I suppose that would make far too much sense.
Tuesday 15 July 2003 9.30am
It would involve.....

Investment, planning, preparation, initiative and drive

All things that Southwark council aren't famed for.

If I could be bothered I would drop mine off there. What about managers driving the trucks for a week? I'm sure the usual staff wouldn't mind as it would be worth it for the entertainment value.
Tuesday 15 July 2003 10.18am
It happened to me where I now live and believe me, by the end of a week, the place stank, (especially in this weather), ants, rats and mice had a blimmin field day.
Tuesday 15 July 2003 10.37am
Would I be within my rights to withhold a weeks council tax?

I wonder....
Tuesday 15 July 2003 11.32am
Unfortunately, probably not, as it is a London-wide strike, not just a Southwark strike. If you see what I mean.
Tuesday 15 July 2003 12.16pm
A smelly city and not just a 'rotten' borough... bliss.

all rubbish to Ken please.
Wednesday 16 July 2003 9.37am
Scarcely Ken's fault.

What did you all expect when you voted labour on 1 May 1997. There will be dead bodies piling up too next, you mark my words.

Taxation has gone up.

Public services are worse (money isn't the answer).

Oh yes, and the rubbish is piiling up in the streets.
Wednesday 16 July 2003 9.42am
There is rubbish outside my house, it smells.

Ken is the mayor and ultimately responsible, albeit via delegation, for the public services within London.

Come and get my rubbish Ken or sort it out.....

Excuses are easy, action is not.
Wednesday 16 July 2003 10.46am
Whilst we understand the frustration that residents feel over the current refuse strike in Southwark and the disruption it is causing particularly in this hot weather, we feel it necessary to point out that the strike is not directly related to Southwark Council's own service but part of Unison's London-wide action over pay. It is not within the council's powers to resolve this issue locally.

We are taking any action that we can to minimise the impact of the strike and are increasing resources to ensure that all waste is cleared in the week commencing Monday 21 July (on people's normal collection day).

In the meantime, recyling banks around the borough and the Reuse and Recycling Centre at Manor Place Depot (30-34 Penrose St, Walworth SE17) can be used to minimise waste produced.

Dumped rubbish or fly-tipped material can be reported to Southwark Council's Call Centre on 020 7525 2000 which is open between the hours of 8am and 4.30pm.

Southwark Council's full statement on the refuse strike can be seen by clicking on the item on the homepage of the website - www.southwark.gov.uk

(On behalf of Phil Davies, Head of Waste Management, Southwark Council)
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 1 of 9

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: