Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Friday 16 March 2007 3.04pm
You murder some one...get three years jail..

You drive a car untaxed and uninsured, run over three people kill all and get two years suspended....

But steal copper cables and cause 5000 of damage and the sentence you get if you and two others get caught...seventeen years total!

Lets hope the thieves appeal and lets hope the judges get replaced by computers, who can be impartial and fair!
Friday 16 March 2007 3.45pm
Hi Jan! Riamia here in my home guise

And they'll soon be calling for an amnesty on murderers and paedophiles to make room in prison for those Bexley pensioners who don't feel obliged to pay for the Olympics! It really is a mad, mad world eh?
Friday 16 March 2007 6.36pm
In defence of judges, though this may not be popular:

Jan, the SE1 report wasn't very full. I have just read a slightly more complete account on another site. As well as theft, there was criminal damage, driving without insurance, driving while disqualified, and dangerous driving. The potential victims were road users who might have been killed in the chase, as well as the rail-using public (theft of copper wire from the railways is an epidemic, apparently). And this was organised crime. The three men got, respectively, 5 years, 5 years and 7 years. The sentences don't look mad to me. How low do think they should go on an appeal?

"3 years for murder" - not sure where you got that from.
Saturday 17 March 2007 1.38am
I read in the South London Press that some poor lad had been sentenced to 2 years for painting graffiti...

2 years is less than what some people get for causing death by dangerous driving.

I'm with you Jan, bring on computers!
Saturday 17 March 2007 8.08am
the three years in jail is not the sentence that some murderers get, probably the actual sentence that they serve more like..

I am not detracting from the seriousness of this crime and obviously they would continue if not caught. So just in case I am inaccurate in my assumptions of leniency where untaxed,unlicensed killer drivers are concerned in their sentences, I am going to do a bit of research!

As well as the pitiful sentences handed out to people who stab someone 92 times and it gets classed as manslaughter...I'm waffling again..
they should get a computer to replace me!
Monday 19 March 2007 10.04am
Jan - you have been assimilated; you are now
you have been assigned memory space 4682BRS-8900-2007-03-19-10-07-15
Monday 19 March 2007 10.20am
mickyBoy_se1 wrote:
I read in the South London Press that some poor lad had been sentenced to 2 years for painting graffiti...

I've just searched for that on the SLP web site but couldn't find that story.

"Poor lad" indeed! Destruction of the public environment makes so many people's lives a daily misery. People who etch bus/tube/train windows so severly that you can barely see out don't deserve sympathy.
Monday 19 March 2007 5.08pm
What about the drugs and money laundering story last week. Bearing in mind they have been inside since last September thats 6 months off there time already.
Monday 19 March 2007 8.03pm
Dear Jan exclamation mark;
Most murderers don't offend again. Most drunk drivers have been at it for years before they are caught.
Do you advocate we go down the American route, or the European one?
Tuesday 20 March 2007 5.56am
JonR...I love the memory space allocated, it has a certain ring to it!

Harry your probably right about murderers not offending again...but this is a case of once is enough..

As it's early in the morning whats the American Route or the European one?
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: