Major disruption on Walworth Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 16 March 2007 3.22pm
Walworth Road will apparently be reduced to ONE LANE OF TRAFFIC from March 19 for 12 weeks and this will result in a "phased traffic light signal for traffic travelling in both directions"...

Just giving a heads up to anyone using the road but this may be the final straw for me. Removing the bus lane - in order to add a few extra paving slabs - was bad enough, but this!
Friday 16 March 2007 4.24pm
There's nothing on the TfL Street Management site about this. Does anyone have any info on what they are trying to achieve with no bus lane and bigger pavements?
Friday 16 March 2007 4.28pm
Yes, there's a lot of information about this on Southwark Council's website.

I quote "The aim of the project is to reduce road collisions that result in personal injuries in line with national and regional government targets. This was because a relatively high number of road casualties (250 over three years) happened on Walworth Road."

It should also make the road much more pleasant for local residents.
Monday 19 March 2007 10.13am
they should put in more pedestrian crossings - so that people won't have to walk half the length of WR just to cross sides. I often see people running across, trying to dodge the traffic (and i don't go down that road very often either).
Monday 19 March 2007 4.09pm
Luke, Thanks for the link. I just assumed that the Walworth Rd would be TfL's domain.
Monday 19 March 2007 7.19pm
This might explain why so many 148 buses are starting or finishing at Elephant & Castle.
Tuesday 20 March 2007 2.07pm

It wasn't too bad yesterday (I live in Camberwell SE5 just south of Burgess Park, and work in SE1) but this morning the traffic was a nightmare. It took the bus over 20 minutes to get from the stop by the BP petrol station to the Elephant.

I'll be walking to and from work for at least the next few weeks while this work is going on. It will actually be faster to walk (45 mins on foot as opposed to 50 mins walk+bus).
Tuesday 20 March 2007 2.24pm
Bit of a nightmare.
Travelled around there over the weekend lots of bus stops are out of service and also noticed buses taking MUCH longer than usual to turn up.
Tuesday 20 March 2007 2.39pm
Knew it was going to be a nightmare, and 12 weeks of it too! But these works are part of a 'bigger picture' scheme to make Walworth Road a better environment. So I will shut up, put up, and hopefully in the summer reap the benefits of a tree lined promenade where I can zip the buggy around with ease...

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: