London Eye 25 million celebration

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Saturday 17 March 2007 12.00pm

Reading above article I took a browse through the original 'The Essential Guide' I bought on my first 'flight' on the eye in 2000.
Bit of fun trying to spot the changes in the London skyline in the last 7 years.
No Gherkin, City Hall, Tabard Tower or Millennium Bridge in the 2000 brochure, although you can see the first section of the bridge if you look closely. And the Imax has it's original livery.
Wonder what changes the brochure photos in 7 years time will have!
The Elephant & Castle will be gone for one.

Related news & features

Saturday 17 March 2007 1.32pm
I was one of the first people ever to book on the Eye (before it had even opened). The office for bookings had hardly opened, there was one girl on one phone line, and I rang up and booked a whole pod for my 60th birthday, six months ahead. She was quite surprised that anyone would bother! Who could have known it would become such an institution...although I aways cheered it on from its inception, unlike the horrible Dome which I scorned from the second it was thought of. Seems I'm a bit of a Joe Public. Anyway, well done the Eye.
Saturday 17 March 2007 1.57pm
Gosh, I cant remember whether the Gherkin was built or not the first time I went in the London eye

I must say though it's a lot less scary then the Yorkshire Eye out side the National Railway museum, which blows about and rocks in the wind.
Sunday 18 March 2007 11.24pm
phoney wrote:
Wonder what changes the brochure photos in 7 years time will have!

I expect the Shard of Glass will overtake the London Eye in terms of visitor numbers. There will be a public viewing gallery on the 72nd floor.
Monday 19 March 2007 8.27pm
The London eye will still be more romantic.
Monday 19 March 2007 8.43pm
Did you know there is a fabulous little bar/conference space at the top of guys hospital? Poor man's london eye cos you can sneak up in the lifts for free and check out the view. Not always open but you can still have a peak from the lift lobby area. I prefer the view from there as you are closer in to the city skyscraper island and you have all the train lines into london bridge in more close up as well.
Tuesday 20 March 2007 9.06pm
whats the prize in the photography comp??
Wednesday 21 March 2007 9.35am
According to the article, it is a years pass to Tussauds Group attractions, and a bottle of champagne.
Wednesday 21 March 2007 8.46pm

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: