Alcohol and entertainment license for Potters Fields Park

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 1 of 8
Sunday 18 March 2007 12.14pm
Anyone else noticed the booze and entertainment license application posted up around Potters Field? Apparently the park is now run by a Trust who want booze and entertainment most days of the week and up to to 1am on some days! You have until March 29th to comment to the Licensing Authority, c/o Southwark Env Health and Trading Standards, The Chaplin Centre, Thurlow St, SE17 2DG

Anyone know what is going on here?

Bruce
Sunday 18 March 2007 12.40pm
I think there was a thread a year or so back which covered the need to have commercial activities to help finance maintenance of the Potters Fields. And the balance between allowing a quiet enjoyment of a green space and more intense activities.

A while back there was a lot of talk in Lambeth about green space trusts. However they are expensive to staff as they do not have the same economies of scale as a Council Parks Department, nor do they have the same access to Council Tax receipts. I am not convinced that Trusts necessarily provide more "democracy" than that provided by Councils and Councillors.

So it is perfectly possible that to raise money, a trust has to exploit the green space it is charged with running. (Though I hear that Southwark recently tried to agree Geraldine Mary Harmsworth Park as a venue for some sort of production for a run lasting several weeks.)

I would be very cautious about the 1.00am license. The big pain of riverside events seems to be the trucks arrriving early in the morning then leaving late the next day. You do not want an event that runs till 1.00am to be followed by the noise of the equipment being packed up and removed.

Perhaps the way forward would be to ask local Councillors to request a meeting with the people applying for a licence to explain what is intended and what safeguards there will be for residents. It really should not have gone as far as it has wihtout some form of consultation, especailly if the Trust is supposed to be working in the community interest.
Tuesday 20 March 2007 11.56pm
[split from Tower block horror thread and merged into this one - JH]

I just wanted to let every one know,if you haven't noticed before, that there are signs up around Potters Field for a separate application-this is for the Potters Field cafe -as was. Originally there was going to be a cafe in the original park plan.

When I saw this I didn't make a complaint as this was A1 use and I thought that this might be a better solution to the hotdog van and all the rubbish bags left out that attract rats etc.Apparently in September Potters Field management Ltd applied for the premises to be moved from its original site and to be transfered from A1 to A3 use ie as a restaurant. There is now an application for permission to get a license to sell alcohol and for public entertainment. I rang Southwark Planning and they didnt know anything about it as it is about licensing.They said they would circulate information if they thought a proposal was a significant change but I dont agree with them. Asd far as I can see these changes in use are being accrued gradually and together they represent a significant change in character for the park from an 'oasis of calm in the city ',or whatever it says on the More London publicity for the new park design,to the site of a film,music and sports venue that will be open from 8AM to 1AM. Even though the site of this building must be barely 30 yards from flats in Tower Bridge Piazza,the opening hours requested are late ,as I said, up to 1AM,even on week nights.The application ,NO 11174 POTTERS FIELD PARK,lists proposed entertainments such as: plays,films,indoor sporting events,boxing or wrestling and live music.The deadline for any objections is 30 th March. On Thursday when I rang the council hadn't received any objections at that stage.Is any one thinking of making an objection? What do you think about this?
Wednesday 21 March 2007 7.47am
I can see the plays and films and potentially even live music - but am certainly not convinced that boxing or wrestling and other indoor sporting events would be a good idea for this. Besides the fact that I think the space might be too small for this, I also think it might not be the most suitable location??
Wednesday 21 March 2007 1.58pm
I'm fairly sure that the boxing/wrestling falls within a particular license request bracket eg live entertainment or something.

I seem to remember that when the new licensing laws came in their were various venues including several bars and pubs that suddenly technically had a license to put on wrestling or something similar but in reality would never hold such an event (I hope!). That said, since Potters Fields is bigger then perhaps the business plan does include hosting WWF events.
Wednesday 21 March 2007 2.40pm
Or even "celebrity" wrestling. (I will leave it to others to suggest suitable celebrities.)

I think Gareth is right. There was a great fuss prior to the new licensing law about the need to have entertainment licences for folk singers and Morris dancers. They are probably classes in with wrestling.

I think conditions can be made to licensing, so worth objecting to what you dont want (amplified sound, say after 11.00pm or more than six times a year, in the hope that this will enable Southwark to set conditions. It is very hard for them to set comditions without evidence of public concern as they might then be consdered unreasonable.)

It may be worth a conversation with the Southwark officer to get a better idea of how you might phrase your concern.
Monday 26 March 2007 1.14am
I suppose my concern is still that the nature of these premises has escalated from 'a kiosk' on the first plan to a restaurant and now possibly to a venue with public entertainment and a license.This is not in keeping with the initial concept of the park.

Apart from the likely noise factor from any live entertainment, I expect the restaurant people will be expecting to bring in deliveries and take rubbish out between the hours of 1AM and 8AM .

I tried to ring up but was put on hold for ages and had to give upo and go to catch a train. I have been away in Manchester working,has any one managed to speak to the people in the Licensing office at all? I'd like some advice about what to say in a complaint as I think the suggestion made above is a good one; we need to try to achieve a limit on week night late opening and and the number of late night live music and boxing sessions etc. The deadline is fast approaching-Friday 30th March
Monday 26 March 2007 8.57pm
Please count me as a resident who does not want amplified sound or alcohol in Potters Fields. Why on earth should we suddenly be subject to late night music and crowds? Tower Bridge Piazza (a private space and almost unpoliced) is already a magnet for drunks in the middle of the night.
Monday 26 March 2007 9.43pm
markadams99 wrote:
Why on earth should we suddenly be subject to late night music and crowds? Tower Bridge Piazza (a private space and almost unpoliced) is already a magnet for drunks in the middle of the night.

Right next door to Potters Fields in The Scoop there have been films and plays shown and sometimes music/DJs playing (all for free) during the summer nights over the last few years. They also sell alcohol.

Throughly enjoyable, brilliantly run and only 3 minutes walk from where I live. I've not been aware of any trouble, so based on this am all for something along similar lines in Potters Fields.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 1 of 8

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: