Changes to this forum

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 9 January 2002 12.00am
Hi all

I've made a few changes to the set-up of the forum - do let me know what you think.

Firstly, dates are now displayed in full, not in the shortened American format. This takes up more space, but I think it's easier to read.

Secondly, the main forum page is now "collapsed" - so you only see one entry per thread, rather than all the responses. The date and time of the last reply is shown on the right for ease of browsing.

Thirdly. each message has its own page, rather than all the messages appearing on one page, punctuated by lots of blue bars.

It's really great to see the volume of messages here has increased so much recently - it's so exciting to see a sense of community developing online via this site.

Do let me know what you think - either by a message in the forum or by direct email to james.hatts@banksidepress.com

Best wishes,

James Hatts
Website Editor, London-SE1.co.uk
Sam
Wednesday 9 January 2002 8.38am
Hi, James

Thanks for all your hard work here ... it's a great site, and I find myself using the forum or reading it more and more: it's interesting to read what other locals have to say about a particular issue.

I've got to say I don't like the 'collapsed' format. It's so much easier to read the initial post then see all the responses listed underneath. Having to click on each response ruins the continuity, and you get the sense that the arguments and discussions might not be as free-flowing as they once were. Please consider returning to the old format. Can you at least have all the posts appear after you've clicked on the initial post?

The non-American date-style is good, though.

Cheers.

Sam
Wednesday 9 January 2002 9.08am
Thanks for your comments - I should have mentioned that you can change back to the old format yourself, and providing you have cookies enabled, the site will remember your preferences.

On the 'forum index', click on 'View threads' at the top and the old-style will be restored.

On an individual message page, click on 'Flat view' and all the messages in that thread will appear on one page.

Hope that helps - let me know if you have any problems.

James
Thursday 10 January 2002 1.09pm
Having thought about it some more, I've switched the default view back to all messages on one page.

James
Saturday 26 January 2002 11.58am
James, all messages on one page is much better! Well done for changing the dates a well.

One question. What is the default setting for the messages in the forum when you first log on, as it doesn't appear to be by date of message posted?

Tizzy.
Saturday 26 January 2002 12.02pm
I don't know how the software works out the order of messages - it seems to have a mind of its own. I wish I could work it out!

James
Tuesday 29 January 2002 11.41pm

Congratulations, James, on constantly improving this site. It's obviously paying off as there have been some good discussions over the past couple of months.
However, I am with Sam on the issue of the thread displays. It seemed to be easier to read the way issues or subjects were discussed in the old format. I much prefer quickly browsing the threads before replying, particularly when I'm lumbered with a 56K modem. Any chance of combining old with new?
Tuesday 29 January 2002 11.44pm
Thanks for your comments!

You can change back to the old settings yourself by clicking here: <a href="http://www.london-se1.co.uk/forum/list.php?f=1&collapse=0">www.london-se1.co.uk/forum/list.php?f=1&collapse=0</a>

James
Monday 4 February 2002 10.06am
Keep up the smashing good Work Mr Website Editor...
We all appreciate the opportunity either just to browse through or join in...
Living in London can be so isolating (if one is from out of town or not from here originally)...
I don't live in SE1 (chance would be a fine thing) but I drive through it every day and consequently check out events for things to do there on the way home or at the weekends. So far I've gone to at least three different things and enjoyed them thoroughly.
So, thank you.
Rosie Posie
Thursday 4 April 2002 1.16am
a great forum James - thanks! only trouble is I'm now spending even more hours online, and getting massively wound up sometimes about the increasing debates between rich/poor and old residents/new residents! Think I'll have to start a thread for the much-maligned long-term residents in need solace, hugs and sympathy.
keep it up!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: