Whites Grounds Estate and Harold Estate

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 21 March 2007 8.07am
Hello, I'm a bit new to the forum but am wondering if you can give me some advice. My husband and I are thinking of moving to former local authority flats to rent. We have looked at Whitesgrounds (off Bermondsey Street) and the Harold Estate (off Tower Bridge Road). Does anyone have any thoughts on these estates? Is it safe? We really want to move to the area.

Also, in a few months time we would like to buy in the area, but have a limited budget. Do you think former local authority flats in the area are a good investment?

Thanks for any help you can give!
Wednesday 21 March 2007 9.01am
I live in the estate next to the Harold, we have alot of trouble with the kids living on there, especially with their mopeds.
Wednesday 21 March 2007 9.15am
Mr Sarahmc used to live opposite Whites Grounds Estate and didn't have any probs. He says there was one flat with a black door which he suspected might be being used to deal drugs- lots of coming and going etc. But on the whole fine.
Whites Grounds is great for all the amenities of Bermondsey Street.
Wednesday 21 March 2007 9.34am
We bought an ex-local authority flat just across from White Grounds, on the other side of the railway bridge at St Olaves Estate 4 years ago. It's great - obviously not as 'posh' looking as some of the flats in the area but the accommodation itself is great and the location is fantastic. Don't regret the decision to move there at all.
Wednesday 21 March 2007 6.44pm
Thanks for all of your thoughts. Pops (and anyone) do you feel safe walking around at night? Do you think the blocks are well maintained?
Wednesday 21 March 2007 7.07pm
I think the most important think when looking at ex-LA is to check (i) your potential neighbours (are they friendly, decent); (ii) the service charges and whether there is a sinking fund (also get a survey when buying - replacing the roof/windows can cost a fortune); (iii) what it's like on a Friday/Saturday nights when the kids are out...

As to whether it's a good investment, provided it's well maintained I would say 'yes'. Increasingly ex-LA blocks are full of young professionals and some offer great locations.
Wednesday 21 March 2007 8.48pm
sallyandrobsmith wrote:
Thanks for all of your thoughts. Pops (and anyone) do you feel safe walking around at night? Do you think the blocks are well maintained?

I've livd in Southwark 29 years now, I feel safe walking the streets. My estate is not run by Southwark Council so can't comment if the blocks are mainained well. As carmenes82 say's speak to the neighbours and see if they are friendly.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: