Death of B St

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Wednesday 21 March 2007 9.37pm
I keep reading about "fashionable B St"
Do we really want more and more bars, restaurants etc opening up on the street? What for - so that gangs of bouyz & grrlz from miles around can come and piss it up?
Garrison & Village East owned by the same people - what happened to competition?
Delfina sold off to become a hotel/offices.
200 flats to be built where Recall are situated.
As for conservation area- developers seems to build as they please.
Wednesday 21 March 2007 9.51pm
In my opinion...

Yes to more good restaurants
Yes to more good/civilised bars (no to chains, loud bars with underage drinkers in, etc.)

It is easy to criticse Bermondsey St. for being a victim of its own success. I remember not being able to get a table at Village East one night near Christmas and was appalled that us locals don't have an automatic right to be seated! On calming down, I realised it's great that so many people want to eat and drink in our fabulous part of town.

A shame about Delfina in some ways, but hopefully some good new restaurants will open up at Bermondsey Sq. to replace it.

More useful shops and local services would be nice too.

Chris
Wednesday 21 March 2007 9.54pm
Yes, shops and services are important; it isn't all about pubs, bars and eateries. Where's the good dry cleaner / laundry? Where can I buy hardware without heading down to the Old Kent Road? I love the choice of places to eat and drink, but some practical developments would be appreciated!
Wednesday 21 March 2007 9.54pm
Personally I've never seen 'gangs pissing it up', I remember Bermondsey St from 10 years ago and am glad it's changed. I think that everything that's opening is in keeping with the overall feel of the area. I'd much rather everything in the street was run by the owners of the Garrison than to have souless chains opening up.
Wednesday 21 March 2007 9.57pm
There's a huge hardware store on Tower Bridge Road and a Dry Cleaners next to Bermondsey Square ...
Wednesday 21 March 2007 10.11pm
What is this about delfina?? The best restaurant around is closing! Oh well, my favourite restaurant of all time was the honest cabbage (where The Garrison is now) and that is a distant memory now...
Wednesday 21 March 2007 10.12pm
There is a great dry cleaners on the corner of Tower Bridge Road and Grange Road, next to Barclays, where I take all my cleaning and alterations...
Wednesday 21 March 2007 10.17pm
JimG wrote:
What is this about delfina??
The building was sold last year for 8 million:
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/2335

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 21 March 2007 10.29pm
The article says that the restaurant is staying open doesn't it? When is it scheduled to close and who is the hotel going to be operated by?

Thanks
Wednesday 21 March 2007 10.53pm
Fair enough. I'm new to the area - forgive my ignorance. I haven't yet explored TBR.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: