The shame of Spa Park

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Saturday 24 March 2007 6.34pm
Two years ago, the powers that be spent some 1m of our (council tax payers') money on redoing Spa park. (They claimed it wasn't our money, as they forced the developer of the Artesian building to spend that much on the park in consideration for purchasing land from the Council, but it all adds up to the same thing in the end.)

I wrote at the time that 1m sensibly invested would instead have endowed a park-keeper - probably in perpetuity - to wear a peaked cap, make small children behave, and to tend the lawns.

Instead, today the park looks like wasteland. The roses have not been pruned. The ornamental grasses look like a jungle. The flower beds, despite bark mulching, are filled with weeds. And the lawns look like a very poor-quality meadow, largely as a result of too-infrequent cutting.

Has the running track ever been used for its apparent purpose? (Joggers could run just as happily around the perimeter of the park.)
Sunday 25 March 2007 12.39am
I personally think the Spa Park is absolutely fantastic. I regularly used the running track during the summer with my girlfriend and my house mate does too. The improvement in facilities for young people (the play area, sports court, etc.) was much needed. I think it's very attractive too. Money well spent in my view.

Maintenance is a separate issue and should obviously be addressed. Hopefully the lawns and plants will be dealt with before the warmer weather starts.
Sunday 25 March 2007 9.14am
I don't recall there ever being a car park in the plans either. Yet the front of the Grange Road building in the park has become a car park with an unbelievably dangerous entrance onto the main road!
Sunday 25 March 2007 4.38pm
Sadly there is police tape blocking the entrance to the park now and two officers patrolling, so it looks like something serious has happened? I don't want to speculate or sensationalise so I'll leave it there.
Sunday 25 March 2007 5.39pm
Isn't it just the contractors using the area as a car park while they finish off the building?

Hmmm...police tape doesn't sound good. Do let the forum know when you find out what happened.

One complaint I do have about the park (I'm not eternally optimistic!) is that the lights are not always on at night. When the lights are on, there's aren't many places for people to hide and it feels much safed. When the lights are off, the contrary applies, and it is a dark hiding place in the middle of a well-populated area. The council needs to ensure that the light stay on.
Sunday 25 March 2007 5.51pm
Oh dear. Unfortunately it's some kind of serious assault by the sound of it. Forensics are there now.
Monday 26 March 2007 7.50am
I love Spa park, and use it all the time. My wife goes there with our daughter and uses all the facilities (play area etc).

Only issue we have is with some of the dogs that tend to run around arent particularly well controlled by the owners, and with an 18 month old we have to be a bit careful.

Of course it needs a bit of maintenance and hopefully that will be done shortly.

Yes looks like a big incident there yesterday- police were photographing the phone box outside Alaska when I walked past yesterday late afternoon. Hope it doesnt put people off going to the Park.
Monday 26 March 2007 8.33am
So does anyone actually know what happened?
Monday 26 March 2007 12.37pm
without wanting to speculate, just to report the following: i saw an elderly man being tended to and a younger bloke talking to the police officers round about 3pm-ish after which the police tape went up and forensics called to the scene.. however, not sure what exactly happened..

as for the running track, i think it's great! went for a jog yesterday (just bought a pair of running shoes so had to go try them out!)

does anyone know how the distance markings work though?
Monday 26 March 2007 3.43pm
Details of yesterday's incident in Spa Gardens:
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/2632

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: