Tabard House major works

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 28 March 2007 2.06pm

Ive just bought in Tabard House on the Tabard Estate. My solicitor search showed that major works to the decoration of the exterior was due to start in Aug 2008. Does anyone know from experience what this entails and what the cost might be?

I called the council who were unable to tell me both before and after the completion of my purchase. Now I am hearing figures that are starting to worry me.

Any ideas anyone? Thanks very much for your help.

Thursday 29 March 2007 7.48am
Lu, my friend who lives down the Blue has received a whopping bill of estimated works...

New Roof

New windows to replace the 'orrible metal ones.

Asphalting the small square.

31, 050 pounds!
In her block there are ten leaseholders, they are going to joing forces with the tenants in Lucey Way who have received similar letters.

She has asked why the roof needs doing as it was only a few years ago it was renewed...the answer was remarkable...' the last roof was only meant to last ten years, this one is good for twenty five'
Where leaseholders are concerned it seems a licence to print money I think.. I sincerely hope your figures are not as high as that. I know someone who paid all bills then when they wanted to sell was told that a large amount was outstanding, loads of to-ing and fro-ing went on, they had all relevant documents to prove they had paid...then a figure of fifty pounds was mentioned! ( reduced from thousands)
and a year back got another demand for payment. yet again all documents were faxed accross to prove payments, including letters from the council agreeing that amount had been settled, seems there was a break down in communications between leathermarket and another council department..So get your solicitor to check carefully and find another leaseholder in the block who has lived there for sometime ( or tenant) and ask when works were carried out in the last few years..

reading that back Lu, it seems so depressing, hope your not in the same boat as my friend...
Thursday 29 March 2007 8.20am
Hi Lu,

I live in the next door block and my block is due for work at the same time. I don't think there is too much to worry about, your block should not be in need of major stuff (other blocks are not so lucky) and I know for sure that no big repairs or alterations are planned at the moment to your block apart from the external decoration that the council has told you about. I think that there will be some work done to the interior of council tennant's flats as part of the works but you shouldn't be charged for any of that.

Also I don't think it will be next year, probably year after.

My only connection is as a member of the local Tennents and Residents Association. If you would like any more info send me a private message.

Welcome to the area!
Thursday 29 March 2007 9.17am
Hi Jan and Toms,
Thanks for your replies. Both ends of the spectrum! Lets see what happens. Ive already bought the flat so I guess I just have to take what comes my way. But Tabard House seems in basicly good shape.

Fingers crossed here.

Friday 30 March 2007 9.42pm
if you look round the estate noticeboards you will find details of the three Tenants' and Residents' Associations on the estate. If you go to one of the meetings you will probably meet other residents who have had this work done, and have received the bills.

One thing to look out for is that the management of the estate recently changed from a Tenant Management Co-op, back to Southwark Council. The sizes of the bills before and after this event may be completely different, so try and find works that have been done since the change. As for before the change, I believe that Northfleet House has had external decs done, and there is at least one regular user of this site in that block, though they may not be a leaseholder.

External painting may sound like not much, but the spec involves fixing certain things before they can be painted, so it can be surprisingly expensive (ANYTHING done by Southwark can be surprisingly expensive!)

Hope that helps!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: