One Way Bus Lane

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 21 July 2003 7.59am
Had a pleasant surprise this morning, the buses are finally using the special one way lanes at Tooley Street (Jamacia Rd end). Shave 2.57 minutes of my journey time!
Al
Monday 21 July 2003 8.48am
They started yesterday, there was a group of London Bus guys with hi vis waistcoats directing buses to turn right at the top of Jamaica Rd into the new bus lane running the 'wrong' way up Tooley St.

Look both ways now...

A
jac
Monday 21 July 2003 10.58am
Yes do take extra care.

The contraflow bus Lane on London road has been up and running for several months now. At first the bus drove relatively carefully but now they wizz along them and there have been two nasty accidents that I know of at St.Georges circus one involving a cylist the other a moter bike.
Monday 21 July 2003 11.16am
saw a woman in a mini overtaking the bus i was on, on the bus lane up to st georges circus- narrowly missing oncoming cars. doh!!
Monday 21 July 2003 11.27am
Yeah, just how long is it going to be before we see a major accident? Its not really obvious what lanes are what for cars heading from London Bridge heading up Tooley Street.
Monday 21 July 2003 1.31pm
I cycled along it warily this morning and thought it slower than going along Druid St and St Thomas's St., and roadworks are still going on round London Bridge. All that trouble just for the 47? Why aren't the RV1 and the 381 using it?
Monday 21 July 2003 2.03pm
Well, traffic was very light this morning when I left for work, so I have yet to really experience the benefits of this new lane. I can however see it as being a bit of an accident hotspot, until people get used to it.

Maybe no-one bothered to tell the RV1 route ;0)
Wednesday 23 July 2003 10.06am
I thought about why the RV1 wasn't using it - is it because they can't turn right from Tower Bridge onto Tooley Street?

Tooley Street looks great now - how about making the streets that come off look just as nice? Druid Street, Barnham Street, etc could very much do with a similar spruce up or don't they count as there are mainly council blocks down there and no shiney offices?!

Al
Wednesday 23 July 2003 10.14am
Buses but not cars - who have to go into the congestion zone for all of 20 metres to drive round Devonshire Mansions but that's another rant about brilliant thinking - can turn right into Tooley St going north up Tower Bridge Rd so you would have thought the same would apply travelling south.

However you're probably right if the restriction hasn't been lifted.
Wednesday 23 July 2003 10.19am
"who have to go into the congestion zone for all of 20 metres to drive round Devonshire Mansions"
er, in a word, no.

If you took that route to turn right, then indeed you would find yourself in the congestion zone, which is why the correct route is to use Queen Elizabeth Street. ie. just north of the Tooley Street traffic lights, turn left into QE street (where the Millennium Balloon once floated away), and left again into Tooley Street. You'll notice on the congestion charge maps that this section of QE street is not in the zone for this very reason.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: