Best pre-theatre dining for the Old Vic

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 30 March 2007 9.47am
Any recommendations for a good place to eat pre theatre at the Old Vic? Currently thinking Thai Silk....? Any other suggestions?
Friday 30 March 2007 9.51am
TAS. You will need to book.
Friday 30 March 2007 10.03am
I absolutely love Tas (and Ev) but have quite a lot recently.

Was just thinking about trying Baltic, they have a cheap pre theatre menu and i've never been...
Friday 30 March 2007 10.23am
I like Baltic, and it's very convenient for the Old Vic, though I have only been there post-theatre. It's modern Polish cooking in a very stylish setting. Service is a little inconsistent, and it isn't cheap, but it gets a thumbs-up.
Friday 30 March 2007 10.58am
Thai Silk is nice. Used to go there pre-theatre when it was on W'loo Road. Don't seem to think of it so much now it's moved (even though it's only moved a little way).

Waterloo Bar and Kitchen (20 yds round the corner from Old Vic, South on W'loo Rd) is good, and they are good at knowing when you're in a rush for pre-theatre meals. We went in a party of about 10, before going to the last but one thing at the OV, and they coped really well with people turning up late and being generally dizzy, clueless, customers (my friends, of course, but not me ;0).

The cafe in the Old Vic is quite nice as well (though it's been a while since I've been there).

No connections, just a happy customer.

...if you press it, they will come.
Friday 30 March 2007 11.18am
The Young Vic has a reasonable menu, we have only had a drink but the staff are helpful
Friday 30 March 2007 2.17pm
Thai Silk hasn't moved, has it? It is still in Waterloo Road (I work almost next door) but there is also a fairly new one under the Southwark arches.

I would say it's a good option as they are so fast that they are too fast - but perfect if you're a bit short of time before a show...
SBR
Friday 30 March 2007 3.01pm
I'd second Waterloo Bar and Kitchen - I've been before where they have really hurried things along to make sure we weren't late.

If you don't want something too formal I'd go for Inshoku Japanese on Lower Marsh - its good food and really cheap, especially for sushi. Its not glam inside but the tempura makes up for it. Ooh, I'm getting hungry now..!
Friday 30 March 2007 4.19pm
Sorry Dee-Dee. I thought that the new Thai Silk under the arches was a replacement to the W'loo Rd one, not an addition. My mistake.

...if you press it, they will come.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: