Freeview

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Friday 30 March 2007 5.52pm
I was informed that Butlers & Colonial have freeview through some corporation, and that Sky etc were not allowed. Does anyone have a clue about what the corporation is? and how i can contact them?

Also, is there a way to get more than 20 channels on freeview? I looked on their website and it shows a rather small ammount of channels.
Friday 30 March 2007 6.11pm
My TV has a built-in freeview box and gets about 40 TV channels including BBC3 and BBC4, News 24, Sky News and all manner of dreadful shopping channels.

Most new developments should have a satellite dish on the roof, and all you need is to pay Sky to connect you, but you should check this out with the management company if you can.
Friday 30 March 2007 6.17pm
that's the thing, i was told that we are not allowed to connect to Sky or get our own dishes. So the previous owners of the flat were quite naughty by getting one.

I wanted to find out who the media company is to see if maybe they have extra channels available for subscription
Friday 30 March 2007 6.24pm
If the previous owners still have the dish installed, why don't you just hook up to this?
Friday 30 March 2007 7.31pm
You may be able to get Virgin Cable. www.virginmedia.com
Friday 30 March 2007 8.41pm
Carmen, I have a feeling I will have to have the dish removed. Not 100% sure yet tho, I guess I will just have to wait and see what the managing company say about it.
Friday 30 March 2007 9.10pm
Not that I'd advocate breaching the terms of your lease, but if it is already in place I think you have some scrope to say nothing and just leave it there, especially if the previous owner had it there for a while and it didn't cause any problems. Is it visible?

Cable could be an option, but your lease will probably prevent any cable company running new cables into the building (this was going to be a problem when I looked at buying a flat in the Alaska building).

Good luck.
Saturday 31 March 2007 10.58am
Does anyone have any problems picking up the Channel 5 digital channels on Freeview? We have a communal aerial and not everyone has digital in the building so they aren't fussed and I have to say that all other non-channel 5 channels are fine. I tried to watch House and Shark on digital and it was dreadful although I could see it fairly well on analogue. I phoned Channel 5 and they said there could be some interference and to check with Ofcom as they may do a survey for a fee to see what was causing the interference. I phoned the local tv aerial place and they want to sell me a new independent aerial for which I'd need permission from the freeholder who will probably eventually need to replace the aerial with changeover coming up so I'm wondering if I should just put up with it for a couple of years. Apparently Channel 5 (and all those shopping channels) transmit from Croydon but all else from Crystal Palace. Does anyone understand about these things?
Saturday 31 March 2007 12.20pm
Hi Cathy - I had a problem with poor signal quality on some Freeview channels using the communal aerial feed in our flats. The poor signals manifest themselves as picture break up - usually small square boxes break up the picture, sometimes with loud squeaks as the sound breaks up to.

I bought this ( RT67X) amplifier from Maplin on Bishopsgate for 14-99 and have had no problems since.

The amplifier is simply plugged into a mains socket using the built-in plug. The original aerial lead that goes to the Freeview box is plugged into the amplifier, and then a "fly-lead" is used to connect the amplifier to your Freeview box - takes 1 minute to install. The fly-lead is of the "male-to-male" type - if you don't have one then Maplin can also sell you one as well.

BsB
Saturday 31 March 2007 12.28pm
Oh thanks. I have a digital tv so no box. So do you think the the amplifier would work if it went in between the tv itself and the aerial socket? Sorry to be so thick!
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: