Oedipus at City Hall

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 21 July 2003 12.30pm
Happened to see in Time Out that there was a free play in the amphitheatre last night. What a treat! I think it was sponsored by More London, obviously Ken wanted nothing to do with it. It's a brilliant space, a pity that they couldn't open the cafe beforehand and make something more of it. Nonetheless it was a terrific performance and is on this Thursday to Sunday at 9pm (6.30 on Friday) and I think the following weekend.
Did anyone else see it? There seemed to be absolutely no advertising for it around anywhere.
Al
Tuesday 22 July 2003 11.24am
Happened to be walking past last Friday and caught some of it, but it was a bit cold and had to move on.

What we saw was great but as you say there was little in the way of support. Did see one party had a bottle of wine which struck me as the way to go. A bit of forewarning would have been nice.

The acoustics are great there in certain places/directions and the guy from Coronation St had presence.
Tuesday 22 July 2003 1.52pm
went there last thurs at 9.00 ish, but deserted except some spanish students in back packs- typo in Time out I think- may have started earlier? definately on this week?
Tuesday 22 July 2003 4.27pm
It all depends on which source you go to. According to this press release from the Pool of London's events site, Thursday is the only early performance day!!!

http://www.pooloflondon.co.uk/events/

[This is also confirmed by http://www.theatrenet.co.uk/ who say that the last performance will be on 3 August.

"Oedipus to Launch New Open-air Amphitheatre

A new production of Sophocles' timeless tragedy Oedipus is set to launch More London's 'The Scoop', the open-air amphitheatre, situated next to City Hall. Presented by The Steam Industry, this production of Oedipus is directed by Phil Wilmott, with Stephen Beckett (most popularly known as Dr Matt Ramsden in TV's Coronation Street) in the title role.

Performances: Thur - Sun only, at 9pm except 17/24/31 July at 6.30pm

Tickets: FREE

Event Location: The Scoop
More London Riverside (adjacent to City Hall)
The Queen's Walk
London SE1

Contact Details: Helen Snell, tel. 020 7287 6889
email. helensnell@btconnect.com"

Post edited (22 Jul 03 17:35)
Friday 25 July 2003 10.40am
from helen:

Thur 6.30pm, Fri/Sat/Sun 9pm
Until 3 August.
No booking required, just turn up and take your seat!

bart

(bring yer brolly!)

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: