Palestra, Blackfriars Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Saturday 31 March 2007 2.17pm
[split from 240 Blackfriars Road thread]

I'm indifferent towards that tower, but the overhang on the(what ever it's called) opposite Southwark tub station is horrific, the architect deserves a slap across the face.
Saturday 31 March 2007 2.56pm
mickysalt wrote:
the overhang on the(what ever it's called) opposite Southwark tub station is horrific, the architect deserves a slap across the face.

It's called Palestra -

It's rather blocky, but I don't think it's "horrific". It adds some colour to the area, and the base at the front is quite nice.
Saturday 31 March 2007 4.02pm
It seems basically inoffensive to me, albeit monolithic. At least it doesn't have the painted clouds that were in Will Alsop's original plans!
Monday 2 April 2007 5.56pm
It's pretty offensive if you are forced to live in it's shade for 4 months of the year.
Try putting SE1 0XD into Google earth for an idea of the effect.
Not much colour to be seen.

Monday 2 April 2007 6.20pm
I feel for you. That image illustrates your problem powerfully. I meant it was aesthetically (quite) inoffensive, rather than socially so. The social impact of buildings like this inevitably varies from person to person; I should have been more explicit - please forgive my insensitivity.
Tuesday 3 April 2007 9.41am
Careful Nick, you'll be branded an architectural ludite like me.

Also Longlaner, believe me it's very offensive when you look at it from your your bedroom window day in and day out.
Tuesday 3 April 2007 12.16pm
Nick, if we allowed London to develop based on your attitude, there'd be nothing over 5 storeys anywhere in the city.
Tuesday 3 April 2007 10.18am
I find that , in the case of "Palestra", that even distance does not lend enchantment to the view. It is hideous in the extreme and I find it loathsome - particularly since it has blocked my view of Centrepoint and the Telecom Tower which was in the middle of my panorama of architecture from Westminster to the Barbican.
I hope it's designed to last only ten years.
Tuesday 3 April 2007 1.03pm
Well wj, I had decided not to post on this thread again as my views are, by now, well known. You have, however, proked me into wishing you the tallest, ugliest, building ever conceived be built in your rose garden!

Why can you not allow others their comment/opinion without a patronising repost? Nick is stating a fact that effects his everyday life for a third of the year - I too would be unhappy with a building that took away my light (thank God I'm not that close to the revolting Palestra!). You say you don't intend to bully but perhaps you should think before getting at the next poster you don't agree with.

Just for the record, I don't know Nick but we do obviously both actually LIVE in the area under discussion!

I think some of the remarks by other locals you have quoted as agreeing with show people on the border of brain death but I wouldn't inflict my opinion on them as that's all it is - their and my opinions!

Do you need to declare an interest as James has requested elsewhere, are you an architect / builder / contractor for these or any similar projects? If you just have a thing for tall buildings fine but don't demand that we all share it. Time to live and let live eh?
Tuesday 3 April 2007 1.40pm
I think its beautiful. I think Will Alsop is a misunderstood genius.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: