Where is the best place to eat?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Thursday 10 January 2002 11.35am
Okay, excluding Mcdonalds and the Honest Cabbage, does anyone have any good recommendations on where to eat, resturant/pub/lunchbar etc....

I'll kick the ball off by saying that the food at the Leathermarket pub is great, simple flavoursome meals with variety every night. Great chips, worth going there just for that, eat your meal upstairs, it's not smokefree, but often there will not be anyone smoking up there, lounge sofa's to sit on or large tables, really cool decor. It's a treasure. Unfortunately it's only open Mon - Fri. though.

Also Champor Champor (Weston st) is a good asian place to go, interesting food using exotic ingregients, friendly attentive staff. Menu changing often etc. It's worth a look, even to see that all the tables are different, every table in the resturant (it's small, pays to book a day or 3 ahead) is different, they have individual chairs, plates, napkins etc, quite unique it is. I think a 3 course meal is about 19 quid, so not the cheapest in town, but worth it.

Well thats my recommendations, what's yours?
Sam
Thursday 10 January 2002 12.08pm
Simon the Tanner on Long Lane is run, I think, by the same people who run The Leathermarket. Their menu is "Tapas Fusion" whatever that means. It's pretty good, simple bar tapas ... it's not the place to go for a nice meal out, but if you want a quick meal or a few nibbles with your pint, I'd recommend it. It's a friendly little pub that deserves to do well. Unfortunately, like the Leathermarket, it's only open Mon-Fri (what's THAT all about?).

Tas on Borough High Street.

I want to try the Peruvian restaurant Fina Estampa on Tooley Street -- has anyone been?

The Bermondsey on Bermondsey street had a few teething problems, but it is getting into its stride now. Nice for a sandwich, soup, coffee or glass of wine at lunchtime. They're very friendly and the atmosphere is nice.
liz
Friday 11 January 2002 12.07am
john, i couldn't agree more about the leathermarket, the food really is good and i'm a big fan of the room upstairs.

I see the honest cabbage has had a bit of a kicking on here recently but i have to say i wasn't impressed with my brunch there some months ago and i won't rush back.

as for the peruvian restaurant, i went there about a year ago and i've never been tempted to go back. it's run by a charming, friendly couple but i thought it was pretty overpriced and a bit bland (but then i do have a knack of choosing the wrong thing on the menu and ending up coveting my companion's dish!)

i keep meaning to try the thai place on tooley street. has anyone been there? and there is a chez nico by london bridge station which should be pretty good, if somewhat pricey.

oh, and for nice cakes or lunch, try the refectory in the new wing at southwark cathedral. it's nice to sit outside there in the summer.
Jayne
Friday 11 January 2002 10.55am
Hi, I agree with the Honest Cabbage comments as we had similar experience. The Thai place on Tooley st is very good, its BYO and they do take-away aswell but you have to pick it up yourself. I think the Peruvian place on Tooley st was not doing too much business and looks like its changed more into a bar style but I falso ound it pricey for what it was. The Leathermkt is fine. Champor is excellent.
Tam
Friday 11 January 2002 11.14am
Feng Sushi near Borough market does great sushi at reasonably prices, and they also offer a home delivery service.

Wine Wharf just down the road from there is fab too. It has giant comfy leather sofas and a huge open plan split level 'living room' where you can enjoy light tapas style meals (including delicious pickled garlic!) with hundreds of different wines.

The Indian restaurant (sorry can't remember the name) on Butlers Wharft near all the Conran restaurants has a great 8 dinner offer, that I can thoroughly recommend.

My friend was the chef at the Leathermarket and also Simon the Tanners and yes the food there is indeed great. They don't open at weekends as most of their clientele are office workers in and around the area.

The same people have just openend a pub called, The Ship i think just around the corner. It looks lovely from the outside, have not ventured in yet, has anyone else?
Friday 11 January 2002 11.38am
Can't beat Petite Robert next to the Market Porter (near the aforementioned Feng Sushi & Wine Wharf) in my opinion.

Superb wine list (the best house wines I've ever had).

The lunch menu (Served until 19.00) is particuarly good value.
Monday 14 January 2002 1.33pm
Petite Robert must gave gone through a dramatic improvement if it now can't be beaten. It'll stay on my blacklist for a while in memory of the overpriced microwaved dinners of a couple of years ago.
Monday 14 January 2002 1.43pm
I was somewhat disappointed by Petit Robert in Park Street, though it is quite a while since I ate there. Perhaps I should give it a go again.

Arancia in Southwark Park Road is good value - mainly Italian cooking

The Loft (Mercure Hotel) in Lavington Street is pretty good, but a bit pricey

Baltic (Blackfriars Road near the crossroad with The Cut) is a cool place serving Polish/East European food which is sort of OK. I'd definitely go back to drink in the bar, but probably not to eat.

Delfina (Bermondsey Street) is good, but a bit pricey and only open at lunchtime Mon-Fri. The food is good.

I see a couple of people have cited Champor-Champor (62 Weston Street) which is a great place - but then I have to declare an interest! Check out the website www.champor-champor.com
Monday 14 January 2002 1.53pm
There is no end of good places to eat in SE1!

I have to agree Petit Robert is fantastic, just make sure you look at the desert menu as that is where you'll find the largest collection of Armargnacs in the country. Also get in quick as I believe Robert is upping sticks in June and heading to Wales.

I think the Indian that Tam is talking about is the Bengal Clipper, superb food but a bit full of suits during the week, a great place for Saturday night!

The Peruvian Fina Estampa is, I believe, doing great business. The restaurant has moved upstairs to allow for a bar that is so laid back, it is often hard to get out of the comfy armchairs when it is time to go and eat. I like the food there and have eaten there about six times, it is a great place to take friends to as you can guarantee they won't have eaten Peruvian before or have a clue what to expect. The service is charming and the wine list, while far from extensive is well chosen.

My favourite restaurant in the area though, is I am afraid, a Conran. Le Pont De La Tour is not cheap!!! However if you are after a bit of a blow out, then it is the best. I took three friends there on the Saturday before Xmas and had an exquisite meal, perfectly cooked, stunningly presented. Wines were as the food, fantastic but you certainly paid for them. Three courses cost four of us 800 but we did drink and have cigars. Highlights of the evening would have to include the game pate and a 1966 Grahams vintage port.

As it is very rare I can afford that kind of meal I am often at the cantina at vinopolis (consistently high standards and all that wine to try by the glass) and the tapas at Mal a Terra (I think) near Southwark station. Great location as it is next door to the Blackfriars wine bar so makes for a great two base evening.

Place to avoid: Fish. The food is okay but the surroundings and price...
carolyn
Monday 14 January 2002 2.05pm
I agree with most of the above. Particularly Feng Sushi (daft name, great place)

The Slug and Lettuce do very nice bar meals and for an absolutely glorious pizza I'd recommend Pizzaria Castello just behind the elephant and castle.

My absolute favourite is the Fire Station right next to Waterloo Station
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: