Great Dover Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 8 April 2007 7.44am
Hello all! I'm Christina, I'm from Athens Greece and I'll be doing my Masters at the LSE this coming September. I've been offered a room at "Sidney Webb" university residential hall (Great Dover Street) which means I'll be living at the Southwark (or is it Bermondsey?) area. So I'd like to ask if anyone has any idea about how this hall and/or the surrounding area are like for a student cause most probably I won't be able to come and see it by myself before early September. Any recommendations/information/opinions welcome!
Thank you very much!

Best
Christina

P.S. Sidney Webb residence was my first choice when I was completing the application form for a number of reasons that I consider important: reasonable prices, well-maintained rooms/areas(judging from the pictures)plus quite a short bus ride to the school, though admittedly I didn't (and still don't) know much about SE1 area.
Sunday 8 April 2007 11.26am
Well done Christina. You'll LOVE it around here, it's diverse and cool and full of fun things to do and see. Let us know when you arrive and we'll pull you in to one of our get togethers!
Sunday 8 April 2007 12.13pm
I have a friend who lived there for two years. The complex is quite new and very well maintained. My friend used to get one of several buses from the Bricklayers Arms roundabout into LSE, a fairly quick journey. This means you'll only need a bus pass, not a Travelcard so you'll save some money there.
Sunday 8 April 2007 3.45pm
Hey guys, thanks a lot!!! I didn't expect to get answers that quickly! Well, I feel a lot more confident now that I've talked to some people who know the area and the hall and could add their opinions! And of course I'd love to come to some get together with you(thanks Jackie)! Till the next time...
All the best
Christina
Sunday 8 April 2007 6.01pm
Christina,

Welcome to the Forum and SE1. To echo what Jackie and others have said, you will be perfectly located for both LSE and all the attractions of the local area plus the West End. The Transport For London web site (www.tfl.gov.uk) is a good starting point to work out bus routes and how long it will take to get between places (although once you know the area, you'll probably be able to find shortcuts) - www.tfl.gov.uk and then click on Journey Planner.

Good luck.
Tuesday 10 April 2007 2.39pm
Hi Christina - good choice! I live across from those halls, opposite the Roebuck pub (great for food, adn pub quiz on Tuesdays is normally packed with halls residents...) It's a great area, handy for shops in Elephant and Castle, Old Kent Road, the bars and restaurants in Bermondsey St and of course Borough Market!
Tuesday 10 April 2007 3.25pm
Thank you all for your replies and help! I'm already looking forward to living in SE1 and experiencing what the area has to offer(which I'm sure will be very interesting)!!!
Saturday 18 August 2007 1.24pm
Hello Christina,
I hope you will see this reply! My name is Hung-Ya(I am a girl) and come from Taiwan. I will be also staying in Sidney Webb House from this September on! And I am curious which program are you joining? I am joining MSc in Politics and Government in the EU.

Frankly speaking, I do love this website, for it does provide plenty of infomation I need about this area. And I simply can`t wait to be there!

I will be arriving in London on Sep. 10th! Hope to see you then, Christina! LOL!

Cheers!
Hung-Ya
Saturday 18 August 2007 1.40pm
Hey,
Nice to hear from you.

You're not gonna believe it, but I'm doing the same MSc course at LSE!!!
That is, if they finally confirm my offer (I had a conditional offer to attend an EU course at the LSE summer school and pass the final exam with a certain grade, which I don't know just yet, but they said it will be available by this Monday-Tuesday). So I'll know soon. I'll keep you posted.

If everything goes well, I'll be moving to Sidney Webb September 23d.
Fingers crossed, hope we'll be neighbours and classmates from September!!!

Best
Christina

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: