Gyms in SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 24 July 2003 7.18am
Any good or recommended gyms in SE1? I live near Borough Tube and need to remove any barriers to my going (ie too much bother to get to the gym!)

Sojourner
Al
Thursday 24 July 2003 12.29pm
I'm a member of a London Bridge gym that I'm not over impressed with.

A friend recently looked at mine again - he'd been a member before - and Top Notch under the arches at London Bridge and joined there. I'm not sure if it has a pool though. He's happy with Top Notch.

Guess it also depends if you're going to the gym to train or read Hello! magazine and have a chat.
Thursday 24 July 2003 3.16pm
There was a full and frank exchange of views on this thread of the forum over the winter. Leave it to you to judge whether any posting came from people with vested interests in any of the gyms mentioned.

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/forum/read/1/4104

Post edited (24 Jul 03 16:22)
Thursday 24 July 2003 4.56pm
My flatmate is a member at Top Notch and is seriously considering joining another gym instead. She complains of never being able to get onto the equipment she needs unless it's broken in which case she can't use it anyway, the timetable for classes being badly organised (most being held during the day) and the fact that there are never any lockers.

I'm a member at Cannons and have never had cause to complain. Admittedly it can get a bit crowded during January but then that goes for most gyms as the New Year's Resolutions kick in for a month or so.

I pay 85 per month for connections membership which means I can use any Cannons I want (the one in Covent Garden is great also) whilst my flatmate pays about half of that for Top Notch. I guess you get what you pay for really.
Thursday 24 July 2003 5.41pm
I have looked at Top Notch, Cannons and Fitness First and i have plumped for a three month trial at Fitness First - it is very much the cheap and cheerful end with no pool and few classes but then I just want to go along 3-4 days a week and do some cardio and some resistancde and i don't care whether they have a jacuzzi or a spa.

I belonged before when it was Curzons (or something) and poor facilities and it seems better.

But the staff are much more friendly there, than either of the other two - where they seemed pretty cool or at worst downright creepy!!
Thursday 24 July 2003 5.44pm
cottons at london bridge city near hays galleria has an excellent pool and good range of classes. Also a very low joining fee at the moment!
Thursday 24 July 2003 7.01pm
As i wandered through hays galleria today i noticed that the one in there (cottons i think it is), downstairs in the lower part is offering free membership at the mo. No idea if its any good, i `ll just stick to my choccie cake instead!
Sunday 3 August 2003 5.24pm
How busy is the Fitness First by London Bridge? I'm tempted, as it's the nearest to me...

thanks!
Monday 4 August 2003 12.54am

Not so busy - depends when you go of course. Closed on a Sunday but then that's the day for pigging out not working out...

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: