GOLF in SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 24 July 2003 10.07am
I have a friend...who wants to play a bit of golf, anyone know the nearest place for a hack, municipal or pitch and put I'm guessing. I believe there is one in Tooting, any nearer?
Thursday 24 July 2003 2.09pm
The LMJJ was trying to find a place for a hack in SE1, and only disabled riders were eligible.
Friday 25 July 2003 7.21am
As far as I know there's no official golfing to be had in SE1. I suggest restorting to urban guerrilla-golf. I have done some pitching practice in Tabard Gardens of an early morning - the bins make a good target. I think that must be a first.

I think the closest clubs in order of proximity are:
Private Fred, Aquarius Golf Club, Marmora Rd SE22 (Peckham Rye/Nunhead, who'd 'a' though it huh?)
Dulwich & Sydenham Hill Golf Club, Grange Ln SE21
Shooters Hill Golf Club, Eaglesfield Rd SE18
Royal Blackheath Golf Club, Court Rd SE9 (actually in Eltham)

Can't say anything about them (size, quality, whether non-members welcome for a round etc) as have never been. Prefer to keep my golf subversive!
Wednesday 30 July 2003 1.22pm
Golf!?! You bored with football then or is old age catching up with you?
Thursday 31 July 2003 8.03pm
Ha, no - sprained my ankle hence my absence, will be back soon, how's it going?
Monday 11 August 2003 12.59pm
Hi, I live in SE1 and play golf pretty much every weekend, but have to travel out of the area to play or practise.

I have to recommend the London Golfer web site (http://www.thelondongolfer.com), which has pretty much all the information you could possibly want about playing golf in the capital. Even lists courses near stations, very useful for those of us without a car......................

A word of advice - although a lot of clubs say "members only", due to the current decline in popularity in golf, they tend to now allow visitors if you ask nicely about it.......

HTH
Monday 11 August 2003 9.02pm
Ha.... there is a putting green in Archbishops in pretty immaculate condition.

There was one summer when loads of local kids thought it was the route to becoming the next Tiger Woods. But now is is largely unused except for the annual Team Lambeth charity shield. (And you wondered where all the maintenance people were.)

Seriously the park is used regularly in the early mornings by people practicing their pitching, from the grass at the Lambeth Road end into the astroturf. None seems to object.

We are about to start finalising the management plan for Archbishops, which will retain a certain amount of recreational sport. We are currently thinking of tennis, cricket nets, and footie. But is there any sort of cricket nets that are useful and don't take up too much space?

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: