Southwark

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
hydrometer Thursday 12 April 2007 8.17pm
Hi
I wonder if any one on this website could enlighten me as to where the word “ Southwark” originates. It suddenly dawned on me that although I live here I don't know. If it was Southwalk it may make more sense. Any ideas anyone?
JimG Thursday 12 April 2007 8.34pm
I think it means 'South ward' - as in the ward (area) to the south of london proper. We were outside the prim and proper city and so could indulge in all sorts of shenanigans (bears, brothels, cock fighting etc.). For a modern take on licentiousness check out XXL club, next to the Menier chocolate factory (sadly men only and you have to prove you are not an undercover police/licencing officer).
sarahmc Thursday 12 April 2007 8.37pm
Ah yes, I used to live with someone (a flatmate) who frequented that place- the tales he told me!!
boroughpaul Thursday 12 April 2007 8.42pm
i believe the bear baiting is still very popular at xxl
Tolstoy Friday 13 April 2007 12.21am
This might help, though there appear to be a couple of theories as to its origin -

'The earliest mention of Southwark by name in history is in A.D. 1023, when the Saxon chronicle tells us that Knut, and Egelnoth, Archbishop of Canterbury, with some other distinguished persons, carried by ship the body of Alphege, saint and martyr, across the Thames to "Suthgeweorke," on its way to its resting-place at Canterbury. In "Domesday Book" the name appears under the form of "Sudwerche."

It is generally said that Southwark was never fortified till quite a recent period. How, then, did its name, "wark" or "werke," arise? Is it the same word as in bulwark? A fortress built by the Earl of Mar, in Scotland, is called "Mar's wark or werke;" and possibly the same word is embodied in the word "Southwark."

Mr. Worsaae, in his "Account of the Danes and Norwegians in England," refers to the possession by those peoples of Southwark, the very name of which, he adds, is unmistakably of Danish or Norwegian origin. "The Sagas relate that, in the time of King Svend Tveskjæg, the Danes fortified this trading place, which, evidently, on account of its situation to the south of the Thames and London, was called Sydvirke (Sudvirke), or the southern fortification. From Sudvirke, which in AngloSaxon was called Sud-geweorc, but which in the Middle Ages obtained the name of Suthwerk or Swerk, arose the present form—Southwark. The Northmen had a church in Sudvirke, dedicated to the Norwegian king, Olaf the Saint." It is stated that the name of Southwark has been spelled in no fewer than twenty-seven different ways in old writings.'

'The Southern Suburbs.'
Introduction

Centre for Metropolitan History
jackie rokotnitz Friday 13 April 2007 7.57am
Gosh that's FASCINATING, thanks so much!
dee dee Friday 13 April 2007 9.37am
Richard Tames book on Southwark past says the first mention of southwark was in the "Burghal Hideage" believed to be c 914AD. But this may date back to 886 AD when Alfred of wessex ordered his son in law Edmund to reoccupy London and refortify its walls. The area is referred to as "Suthringa geweorche" which means a defensive work of the men of Surrey.

Richard Tames says this was confirmed in the later "Olaf Saga" which describes Suthvirki as a "great trading palce", defended by "large ditches" which may explain the fortification Tolstoy mentions.
hydrometer Wednesday 2 May 2007 2.18pm
Many thanks for all this fascinating information. Very interesting.
Ivanhoe Wednesday 2 May 2007 3.08pm
so what does happen at XXL?

...if you press it, they will come.
Julie Wednesday 2 May 2007 4.44pm
trust you!
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions