Increased Number of Homeless

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 27 July 2003 3.55pm
I've lived in Borough for just over two years. In that time, there seems to have been an increasing number of homeless people, particuarly in/around Borough High Street.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Is this a side effect of the "zero tolerance" policy in Kings Cross, in that it has just relocated the issue to another area? Or is there a welfare establishment in the area that helps these people?
Monday 28 July 2003 8.20am
I'm afraid it's a worrying combination of reasons. Homelessness is a serious problem that nobody seems to want to take responsibility for.

I can't believe that Railtrack or whoever it is owns London Bridge station allows the guys to sleep in the area that leads to St Thomas' St, the amount of rubbish and filth that accumilites there is out of this world.

There is a homeless canteen on Melior St called the Manna centre that from 8am to late afternoon has anything up to 30 homeless people hanging around, many of them abusive to passers by and again masses of rubbish is strewn around the street on a daily basis. One problem is that some of these guys are involved in dealing in one way or another and the owners of the centre seem to take no action against anyone who is the cause of trouble.

The police in the area seem to have little effect either. I tried to report a group who pulled up outside of our office twice a day to smoke crack. Our office is next to a school and has kids and mums going past this each day. I called the local police station who kept me on hold for ages, and instead of getting some officers around right away to catch them in the act, they gave me another phone number to call which was never answered but just went through to an answer phone - incredible!

The alcohol and drug addicted homeless in the area need help but if they are left to their own devices nothing is ever going to get done, I get annoyed with myself because I almost feel that I'm getting a bit into Daily Mail territory but something has to be done
Monday 28 July 2003 1.01pm
Over thirty years ago Rowton house at the elephant was closed and homeless people in their hundreds were evicted or to use the proper word ' decanted'.....the place was sold as I recall to the property developers who made it into the London Park Hotel...which eventually became a refugee hostel.. which I think it still is....some of those men were mentally ill, and some had served in the war.....

A fair amount of homeless people suffer from mental illness and at the end of the day no one in authority will really admit the problem..not enough property available for uk citizens and refugees. before any one assume I am anti refugee I am talking about economic migrants....

and I know with my memory I have probably posted before about this :-)

jan
Wednesday 30 July 2003 12.14am
Why doesn't somebody like Alastair Campbell/Tony Blair, who can really make a difference, spend time trying to put right the homeless situation, instead of exercising their egos against the BBC....

How much responsibility does Uncle Ken have in regard to homelessness?

City Hall is empty at night. They could put sleeping bags all the way up the winding staircase, and open the cafeteria in the basement to give them a meal...

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: