Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 1 of 11
Thursday 19 April 2007 8.51am
I've recently noticed an increase in the number of pitbulls being walked (paraded?) in the area. They may not all be purebreed pitbull terriers, but these dogs are all of the type bred for their fighting qualities and can be quite menacing as well as pretty unstable.

Twice recently I have seen young guys hanging around St Thomas's Street taunting their dogs in order to get them to go spectacularly berserk. This isn't a situation where I would feel all that comfortable intervening; I have been attacked by an out-of-control dog before - hence my concern about the proliferation of what are commonly regarded as dangerous and volatile breeds.

Does anyone have any views on this or similar experiences?
Thursday 19 April 2007 8.55am
THis is SCARY. Have you told the police? These dogs are largely illegal and after that terrible case of the little girl who's grandmother and uncle were hauled up for letting one of those dogs kill her, one cant be too careful.
Thursday 19 April 2007 9.04am
Yes, I agree - you must inform the police, I think. Very scary.
Thursday 19 April 2007 9.52am
Under the Dangerous Dogs Act of 1991, pitbull terriers cannot be owned without special exemption. They must be muzzled in public, must be neutered and must have been implanted with a microchip. Needless to say, this legislation is not being adhered to. From what I can make out, this isn't considered very serious by the police.
Thursday 19 April 2007 10.04am
are you sure they are not Staffordshire bull terriers as there seem to be increasing amounts of these in the area
Thursday 19 April 2007 10.08am
I'm not a genius at identifying dog breeds, and I know Staffs look quite similar to pitbulls. These dogs seemed very aggressive and were being encouraged to behave aggressively by their owners, one of whom was yanking the dog's tail and making it howl.
Thursday 19 April 2007 10.12am
I might add that having looked at pictures of the two breeds online, I'm inclined to think that the dogs I saw were indeed pitbulls - or pit bulls, as I now find I should call them.
Thursday 19 April 2007 10.47am
I was on a bus the other day when a young lad got on with some kind of bull terrier decked out in studded harness etc. It was growling and he was struggling to keep it under control. I moved seats when he sat down behind me. I really think you should tell the police about this- these dogs can be absolutely vicious when not handled correctly.
Thursday 19 April 2007 11.13am
The trouble is that unless the police actually put in an appearance when a dog is misbehaving or being handled poorly they can't do anything. My saying "There seem to be a lot of aggressive dogs around" is hardly going to get them very interested, don't you think?
Thursday 19 April 2007 1.34pm
I though I noticed more and more agressive looking dogs being 'paraded' by youngesters recently - not just in se1.
Does it give you extra street cred if you have a beast on a leash I wonder. I have to admit that if this is really a new trend I find it a very scary one. On Easter Sunday I spent some time in a park in ec1 and there was a group of yougsters with two nasty looking dogs, and one owner appeared to throw stones at this own dog!
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 1 of 11

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: