Best seafood restaurant in SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Wednesday 30 July 2003 1.26am
I want to take my wife to a good seafood restaurant in SE1 for her birthday soon. Would appreciate any recommendations.

We've been to Fish! in Borough Market 2 years ago, which was okay but not amazing. Wouldn't go back. Noticed their County Hall branch got slammed by critics a couple of years ago.

We have passed Livebait near the Young Vic many times and it looks interesting but the decor is a bit East End jellied eels parlour. Looking for something more comfortable, but would consider if the food was outstanding - my wife loves oysters, crabs and lobsters in particular. Anyone know it?

Many years ago we used to go the Lobster Pot (I think it was called) in Kennington, which was superb, but haven't been back since...

Any comments or recommendations welcome ..

Post edited (30 Jul 03 01:31)
Wednesday 30 July 2003 8.59am
Livebait is wonderful, ignore the decor, try and book first, we have gone in several times over the years and ended up literally looking into the open kitchen area, ( not a bad thing really) the skate is heaven too.

jan
Wednesday 30 July 2003 9.42am
You could try the The Aquarium in St Kathrine's Dock (not se1 I know) the service is a bit poor but the fish was awesome, so fresh and yummy. Took my hubby there for his birthday too.
Wednesday 30 July 2003 11.45am
I keep meaning to visit this restaurant but I can't bring myself to cross to the south side of the Elephant to get there! Here's a review from The Observer of April 20, 2003:

"The Lobster Pot

3 Kennington Lane, London SE11. Tel 020 7582 5556. Meal for two: 90.

Some people regard this place as the only reason to go near the planning disaster which is Elephant and Castle, and I would have to agree. This small but perfectly formed Bretagne fish restaurant has a lovely line in eccentricities, such as the tape of seagulls as you enter, the tiny, wood-lined dining room and its portholes with fish swimming behind them. The waiters even dress in blue and white stripy tops. Despite all the fun, the food is really very good: great straight-up fruits de mer, fish soup and bouillabaisse, as well as more complex dishes. There are also non-fish dishes but, like, why would you even want to? Occasionally they run live opera evenings. Well, of course they do."

They do have their own website but I have forgotten the address.

Post edited (30 Jul 03 11:56)
Wednesday 30 July 2003 1.43pm
I'd support Jan. Livebait is well worth a visit. I too had been put off by the decor until I spotted Livebait in a London Tourist brochure (or similar) which listed about a dozen top restaurants and Livebait was the only one south of the river.

Thanks also for the Lobster Pot tip. I hadn't heard of this, but will probably give it a try soon.

Steve
Wednesday 30 July 2003 3.59pm
pont de la tour (butlers wharf)
great sea food, superb views and live jazz
good "destination" restaurant too for a special occasionargent wrote:

> I'd support Jan. Livebait is well worth a visit. I too had
> been put off by the decor until I spotted Livebait in a London
> Tourist brochure (or similar) which listed about a dozen top
> restaurants and Livebait was the only one south of the river.
>
>
> Thanks also for the Lobster Pot tip. I hadn't heard of this,
> but will probably give it a try soon.
>
> Steve
Wednesday 6 August 2003 9.33pm
Thanks to everyone for their responses - we will definitely try Livebait !

Charles
Wednesday 6 August 2003 11.01pm
Why not try a Sushi bar for a change. There's one just up from the Fish restaurant at County Hall. Be adventurous.
Jai
Monday 11 August 2003 10.05am
Yo sushi at County Hall is the worst Sushi I've had in London.

I don't rate any of the fish restaurants on offer in London.
For a real fishy treat, get up early, and make your way to Billingsgate fish market (near Canary Wharf)
buy a decent size salmon for about 10.- or a couple of lobsters for 15.-

cook at home, and take to the park with a bottle of bubbly... carefull with chucking your own oysters !!!

Varkenslachter
Monday 11 August 2003 1.56pm
not one of the fish restaurants in London - that's quite an indictment!

You can get great sushi at Kula Kula in Brewer Street (not SE1, I know but well worth a short trek).
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: