Free books

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 19 April 2007 2.00pm
I have lots of books (and videos) going spare as we are moving house.
The books are a variety of titles from a lot of Jackie Collins/Patricia Cornwell/airport type books to ordinary novels and a few history books. Some quite new but husband has issued ultimatum about de cluttering before we move.
As a book lover, I cannot throw books in the bin. I was wondering if there is a charity round here, or a mobile library I could donate them to? I don't have a car so I would want someone to come and collect them from Metro Central Heights in Elephant.
KM
Thursday 19 April 2007 4.52pm
I used to donate mine to the Lib Dems for their fundraising sales before I got so disillusioned with them. (The Lib Dems that is not their sales)
Thursday 19 April 2007 5.14pm
http://www.bookcrossing.com/ ? perhaps?

Then you could track them as they wind their way around SE1 (and possibly beyond!)

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 19 April 2007 5.59pm
Good idea but there are just too many for that- I don't really minds where they end up as long as I can get rid of them!
Thursday 19 April 2007 6.02pm
I'm sure any hospital would be glad of them.
Thursday 19 April 2007 6.48pm
You could also try freecycling them - there's a local Lambeth group.

Visit: http://www.freecycle.org/
Friday 20 April 2007 8.51am
Hi,
I would be happy to collect, store and donate to the next Kennington Bazaar, which is in late May.

What I have done in the past with unsold books is to take them to an organised Charity shop in Pimlico (Crusaid, which provides for people with HIV here and in Africa) who are well known for gtood quality books and so attract lots of browsers, and so have a strong turnover and get reasonably good prices. (Worth knowing about because they open for three hours on a Sunday around lunchtime which is when they get lots of donations.)

Am happy to pick up other stuff from you and others. I collected quite a lot for the last bazaar and was congratulated on the "high quality". But what would you expect from SE1 as opposed to SE11.

Sarah
Friday 20 April 2007 3.04pm
Or, ask the friends of St Thomas'& Guys it take a bit of effort to get them there and you have to arrange a time for delivery within the hours that they are at the hospital, but they're always v.grateful.
Friday 20 April 2007 4.30pm
If it is handy, you can take them to the London School of Osteopathy oppostite Borough tube, who sell them in their waiting room very cheapily for a good cause
Friday 20 April 2007 4.44pm
I also should have said that The Oak sell books in their bar to raise money for St George's church, and have always been happy to take books from us in the past.

...if you press it, they will come.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: