Praising Southwark

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 19 April 2007 10.07pm
Sunday 22 April 2007 11.40pm
Its a good article but I'd disagree with John East.

What made Southwark so attractive for development wasn't bombing during the WW2. What made it so attractive was the planning policies embraced by Southwark Council in the 1960s where all alternatives to 'light industrial use' were resisted and refused. (See the North Southwark Development Plan) This approach brought about the widespread dereliction for which Southwark was famous in the early 1980s (see 'Ghost Town' video).

Hezeltine placed the LDDC outside the control of Southwark's planning prejudices thereby enabling the redevelopment of Docklands. This, in turn, eventually triggered the redevelopment of the north of Southwark but only after Southwark Council abandonned its resistance to widespread residential use in previously industrial buildings and sites (c1994).

Its interesting to note that Piers Gough's partner in CZWG, Roger Zogolovich, was considering buying 7 Tyers Gate in 1980 but decided against it.

Regards

Niall Connolly
Sunday 22 April 2007 11.45pm
That article was published last June at the time of the London Architecture Biennale (the way the Independent displays today's date above articles on its website is confusing...)

It was mentioned briefly on the forum at the time:
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/forum/read/1/53891#msg-53941

PS - nice to hear from you again, Niall

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Zoe
Monday 23 April 2007 8.46pm
Do you mean Ghost Town by The Specials? Which bit of Southwark was it? I shall have to look out for it on VH1 (which I've now started to watch because I'm old and boring, and it's true, as you get older police officers do start looking like teenagers).
Wednesday 25 April 2007 12.10pm
Zoe

Yes, I believe it was. From memory they filmed in ther north of the borough and in Rotherhithe Tunnel. Back in the 1990s Bermondsey St was a regular location for 'The Bill'.

A couple of years ago I saw a short piece from a 1960s cops 'n robbers movie with Stanley Baker. This contained a car chase which seemed to be set in and around Druid St but which jumped to Maida Vale for its conclusion. Unfortunately I didn't see the credits or get the movie title.

I am quite sure that the north of the borough was well documented in movies and I would love to see some sort of collection of the clips.

James
Back atcha. Life is deathly dull down here in the southwest and I miss the urban grit, hoodies, wailing sirens and all the other stuff that made up living in SE1. But we have a little place in Wansey St so we can come back to get our fix of the metropolis.

Regards and best wishes

Niall
Wednesday 25 April 2007 12.35pm
Ghost Town was inspired, if that's the right word, by economic [high unemployment] and social conditions in Coventry, [where The Specials originated], and other towns in the UK at the time.
The original video can be found on youtube. They were zooming around what appear to be the tunnels under London Bridge, across various Thames bridges, parts of the city, and at the end they are on the Thames shore. For most of it, the jumpy camera work makes exact identification of locations impossible - and no doubt, the city scape has changed significantly in 25 years!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: